• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Navigating without a mouse?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Schalldampfer

Is it possible? I'm currently using only the keyboard to do various activities, because my MX1000 is charging. I was wondering, however, if one could simulate the pointer of the mosue with the keyboard.

ajrettke said:
well you can tab and alt and stuff to almost anything...

Yep. And then there is the windows key for the start menu, and some other hot shortcuts.

I can go with out a mouse for most of the day. Expect on webpages and applications with bad 'tab' layouts.

I know of the tab and alt-tabs, or I would not have been able to post in the first place. Heh. I was wondering if there was any way to simulate the actual pointer of the mouse with just the keyboard.

If your using XP go to control panel->accessiblity options->mouse then enable 'mousekeys' then you'll be able to use your number pad keys to control the mouse.

If your 1337 you can control just about anything with just the keyboard. The trick is just knowing all the short-cut keys. (there are looooots of them)

Bios24 said:
If your using XP go to control panel->accessiblity options->mouse then enable 'mousekeys' then you'll be able to use your number pad keys to control the mouse.
That's what I was thinking of, I just couldn't remember (an didn't feel like rebooting into windows to check).

If your 1337 you can control just about anything with just the keyboard. The trick is just knowing all the short-cut keys. (there are looooots of them)
Many of them should be in the link I provided.

My EVGA GForce AGP tuner card has a mouse control on the remote, directional and buttons.
But I guess you gamer types wouldn't touch a 64Meg card these days :D

Also, if you hit shift a bunch of times in a row, it'll probably pop up a little window.. This allows you to hop directly to the tab where you can setup mouse keys. Kinda handy for when you all of a sudden lose your mouse...

perfectturmoil said:
Also, if you hit shift a bunch of times in a row, it'll probably pop up a little window.. This allows you to hop directly to the tab where you can setup mouse keys. Kinda handy for when you all of a sudden lose your mouse...
What, like if it escapes and runs under the couch?

Oh, wait, the other kind of mouse.

Gnufsh said:
What, like if it escapes and runs under the couch?

Oh, wait, the other kind of mouse.

:- ]

Well, my problem was an accidental unplug of PS/2 mouse.. which refused to work after being plugged back in... although after that I threw it under the couch ;- ]

Bios24 said:
thats cool, i didnt know that one, thanks.

Bios24 said:

Wow... thanks! That worked... now I just need to figure out how to simulate the mouse clicks...

Useing the ALT ALT+Tab the arrow keys and windows button is hard to get use to but once you learn how it is really easy. I can control most of my computer with just the key board.

perfectturmoil said:
Well, my problem was an accidental unplug of PS/2 mouse.. which refused to work after being plugged back in...
You'll need to reboot after plugging it back in

Gnufsh said:
isn't there a key that does that normally? It looks like a cursor hovering a menu, sort of...

And there's this program:
http://www.vsisystems.com/keyboardmouse.htm
If you're using the extended number pad, 5 is left click. Dunno about right click...

Cap'n Pedro said:
You'll need to reboot after plugging it back in

If you're using the extended number pad, 5 is left click. Dunno about right click...

Are you sure? I think the + sign is the right, but when I clicked on numpad 5, nothing happened. I guess I'll go try it again.

Back