• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I underclocked my ram to 333 mhz to match my fsb for performance gain, but no gain!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrazyBauxite

Registered
I underclocked my ram to 333 mhz to match my fsb for performance gain, but no gain!!

Did I underclock my 400 mhz ram properly? I changed the memory frequency in the bios from auto to 333 mhz, there were no other options. I should have seen some performance gain because the 333 mhz now matches my 333 fsb, so that must mean that i'm not doing it properly. I ran memory write tests using everest to compare the auto option against the 333 mhz setting, nothing changed.

Running a 1:1 ratio doesn't always have a big gain. That's why people use dividers to get a better OC which would give a bigger gain then lost.

CrazyBauxite said:
Did I underclock my 400 mhz ram properly? I changed the memory frequency in the bios from auto to 333 mhz, there were no other options. I should have seen some performance gain because the 333 mhz now matches my 333 fsb, so that must mean that i'm not doing it properly. I ran memory write tests using everest to compare the auto option against the 333 mhz setting, nothing changed.

I feel like you are still a tad confused about your goals here. Did you have a chance to read those articles that I linked for you earlier?

For an XP rig you WANT to run your cpu and your ram at the highest possible speeds, with the lowest possible timings and with the 1:1 memory ratios. This means that the ram and cpu at 170 (DDR340) is better than at 167 (DDR333)...and again, better at 200MHz (DDR400) than at 170 and so forth.

When you stated that you set your ram to run at 333 to put it in sinc with the cpu...just where did you set it? I'm not familiar with the Asus mobo's BIOS so that is why I'm asking. That might be how it is set to 1:1 memory ratios...that's the right place to start but now you need to raise your cpu/fsb and the ram speed will increase accordingly (in sinc with a corresponding and equal increase in ram speed as the fsb is increased).

If your cpu multiplier is unlocked, then you can lower it to the next lowest setting and increase the fsb, like was discussed in your other thread. Remember that just because the option in in BIOS to change the cpu multi it doesn't mean that the cpu is unlocked and the change will take place.

What week is your cpu? If you have one with a pre week 39 of year 2003 then the 2500 is unlocked, otherwise it is Superlocked and nothing will change it in an NF2 motherboard (there is supposed to be a way in the VIA mobos by modding it to a "mobile" and then using software to change the multi but it does not work on nForce2 based motherboards like yours).

Slowly and patiently increase the fsb, testing for stability along the way, until you reach your max overclock. Remember that you will most likely need voltage increases (ram/cpu/chipset) to maintain stability, as well as perhaps relax the memory timings. There will be a point where the relaxing of memory timings to achieve higher clocks brings diminishing returns and then turns south on you. Only by testing will you know for sure when that point has occurred.

Give it a try and post back on your progress.

In an asus mobo running your ram at 333 basically means that is your cpu is at 200fsb then your ram will be at 166, it got me pretty tripped up the first time i was looking at it. You'll want to run it at 400, which is running 1:1.

Back