• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAM for Opteron 144

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UBERCOOL

I have an Opteron 144 that should be here soon, and I have heard that people can reach 3ghz with the multi locked at 9. What ram should I get to go with this? Would I be better off using normal ram(pc3200) with tighter timings and a fsb:mem ratio or go with some faster ram and run 1:1 and maybe sacrafice a little on my timings. My price range is around $200.

Specs:
Opteron 144(watercooled)
Asus A8N-SLI deluxe
Nvidia 6600GT
OCZ PowerStream 520W

Yeah, I know the board isn't the best but I picked it up for $60 as a refurb so I can't really complain. Will my motherboard even support that ram? I was looking and they only list compatibility up to pc3200 but I would think that it could handle quite a bit more.

:edit:
I noticed that on the first review they used my motherboard and it didn't turn out so good.

UBERCOOL said:
Yeah, I know the board isn't the best but I picked it up for $60 as a refurb so I can't really complain. Will my motherboard even support that ram? I was looking and they only list compatibility up to pc3200 but I would think that it could handle quite a bit more.

:edit:
I noticed that on the first review they used my motherboard and it didn't turn out so good.
All of the AMD compatible mobos only list up to pc3200 ram as working. This is only because the base speed of all A64's is 200htt. They will all run higher speed ram. With your mobo, I'd say the GSkill is overkill. The OCZ TCCD will work just as well for your purposes and cost $50 less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890

Back