• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing the sticker without destroying it??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tomatosaurus[RE

Hello,

Im going to buy a couple of 1Gb sticks, they are standard type but atleast its corsair wich sounds better than OEM. ;)

I'd like to place heatsinks on them, and place the original corsair sticker on the heatsinks. I guess its an "warranty void if removed"-sticker, I dont care tho, when the HS is there it prolly will be busted anyway.

Anyone know how to remove the sticker, without busting it or making it look bad? :)

A recommendation for a good RAM sink is velcome too. :santa2:

Thankyou

You will be better off running without the RAM sinks!

If you want to cool them, just place a fan above them and you should be fine. Personally I use 2x80mm when pushing high Vdimm but 1x120mm would be fine as well.

there is a reason that sticker is there. if you remove it, the warrenty is void. Heatspreaders do more harm then good from what i see anyways, i wouldnt worry about it

Heatspreaders really don't help that much, unless you have like ram running at over 3.5v or something. Might be more useful if you have a strong fan+heatsinks, but it's simpler to just get a plain 60mm fan over the top.

there's nothing wrong with heatsinks, it's common sense than if you put heatspreaders on the chips it'll cool better. the problem comes from manufacturers that just slap a thick layer of thermal tape on the inside of thin stamped aluminum "heatspreaders."

now, as far as performance goes it's almost a complete waste of time, ram doesn't need heatsinks just airflow.

If one would put on heatsinks(not saying that I will) maybe it would be better to use thermal grease, like artic silver?

party animal said:
i wouldnt use artic silver on RAM, as AS5 is kind of conductive. Instead, use ceramique.

oops hit edit your post, sorry about that :eh?:

Arctic Silver 5 is not conductive, its slightly capacitive.
I am not in agreement that heatspreaders are worthless, my opinion is a good set of copper memory heatspreaders are beneficial if one has decent airflow over them. As far as removing the sticker, well most times it will void the warranty, I had a set of Mushkin BH-5 that came without a heatspreader, I called Mushkin and asked if I could add a heatspreader and they said ok. But if the warranty will be voided, remove the sticker, because when you later remove the heatspreader, the double sided tape holding the heatspreader to the memory chips will pull of the sticker anyway. ;)

GeIL RAM comes wit ha tube of copper thermal compund for its RAM.... So putting AS5 on the RAM would not kill it. Just like witha CPU though you need to be careful. Dont slap it on there... just a thin even layer on the IC itself not all up in the PCB and chip arms :)

Silversinksam said:
oops hit edit your post, sorry about that :eh?:

Arctic Silver 5 is not conductive, its slightly capacitive.
I am not in agreement that heatspreaders are worthless, my opinion is a good set of copper memory heatspreaders are beneficial if one has decent airflow over them. As far as removing the sticker, well most times it will void the warranty, I had a set of Mushkin BH-5 that came without a heatspreader, I called Mushkin and asked if I could add a heatspreader and they said ok. But if the warranty will be voided, remove the sticker, because when you later remove the heatspreader, the double sided tape holding the heatspreader to the memory chips will pull of the sticker anyway. ;)

Yeh exactly my point also ;) I would ofcourse test them for some time before I do it - not much in em that can break.

So we back at square one, how to get the stickers off!! Anyone have a nice trick up there sleeve? :santa:

Presuming that you don't intend to RMA this after you've voided the warranty and want to keep the sticker for referring to for part number and original specs and timings etc. or also to go with the RAM for the new owners reference if you should sell it. Then you could try just taping over it with scotch tape (UK: Sellotape) and peeling it off like that... The scotch tape should hold it together better, then you can stick it on something else, like the package or inside your case for reference.

Road Warrior

Neur0mancer said:
GeIL RAM comes wit ha tube of copper thermal compund for its RAM.... So putting AS5 on the RAM would not kill it. Just like witha CPU though you need to be careful. Dont slap it on there... just a thin even layer on the IC itself not all up in the PCB and chip arms :)

You do not know what your talking about my friend. Arctic Silver 5 is slightly capacitive and if it bridged the memory pins it can and will damage or destroy your memory or videocard. PS that Geil silver/copper paste is a joke as is Geil, they are on my ***** list

RoadWarrior said:
Presuming that you don't intend to RMA this after you've voided the warranty and want to keep the sticker for referring to for part number and original specs and timings etc. or also to go with the RAM for the new owners reference if you should sell it. Then you could try just taping over it with scotch tape (UK: Sellotape) and peeling it off like that... The scotch tape should hold it together better, then you can stick it on something else, like the package or inside your case for reference.

Road Warrior

hmm...yeh I know that method but its only slighly better than peeling it off as it is...

I think there is a method involving steam :santa2:

Gonna c what the stick looks like when I get the modules inafew days...maybe its a shiny metallic thingy that will come off easy.

Well I dont know how great of an idea it is but you could go for the old evelope trick and hold that part over some steam and the tape will moisten up and it will be very easy to to take off. No ripping and the glue will still work after. Although... water and comuter parts dont usually mix? anyone know if distilled water would be maybe a better choice for this route. but thats whole route is a little extreme. Why dont you just take it off carefully wit h an exacto knife or razor?

Back