• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AI7 won't post, post code AF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbodeuce

Registered
Ok, I have searched and searched on this and cannot find an answer. I know that the post code 'AF' is not in the manual, but has something to do with memory.

My setup:
2.4c @ 3.0 running stable for over a year
ai7 mobo
256mb x 2 Mushkin Black Level II (BH5)
geforce 6800gt
430w antec

I know that my bh5 needs at least 2.7-2.8v to even post and my board is very picky about this. I have been running stable at 2.8v for the past year and a half or so. A couple of days ago my system crashed and would not post, gives the long memory beep and post code 'AF'. I thought that maybe somehow my cmos got reset and vdimm was lowered. I got it to post and got into the bios with one stick of ram. It would not post with both sticks until I raised the vdimm to 3.0. I ran it like that for a day and it crashed again. Now I cannot get it to post at all. I have tried a stick of corsair xms 2700 and didn't work. So I went and bought a cheap generic stick of 2700 to see if I can get it to post and have the same problem. I have tried resetting the cmos, but still get the 'AF' code. :bang head:
Did I fry the board? any help is appreciated
thanks

I done some googling, and there wasn't much out there. I keep reading, things like try different slots with generic ram, and clear the cmos.

When you put the generic ram in now, what happens? Do you still get memory error beeps? Try booting without any ram in, do you get the same code and beeps?

Scott.

Put the mushkin lvl 2 in the kitchen frezzer for 15mins, very quickly rush it back into AI7, enter bios set max vdimm and leave it like that, re-enter bios and then change timings to 2-2-2-6 and advanced timings to F1-A-A-D-D.

Mine won't do crap if I mess with the turbo or anything like that. I can play with voltages and timing all day long, but DEAR GOD DON'T TOUCH TEH TURBO!!!111

I had a random no-posting thing too when I got a new case... turned out it was shorting out, I had put a brass standoff on a place with no screw hole. What a pain in the arse. If you haven't pulled the mobo out of the case lately, disregard this part.

There is a Vdimm mod for the AI7, however it is not of any use, it has a negative impact on stability at the same available voltages, and above 3.2v it will max out at ~3.48v but makes it perform even worse, much like the DDR booster on the AI7 does the same thing. Tryed this on 2x AI7's

It very easy mod, solder wire to tiny SMD, then tiny fixed resistor, and directly to earth. (forgot the resistance, I still have it, likley sitting in a large box of spare parts at the bottom somewhere)

I used a old fan header plug for the earth, just so I could get my Mushkin BH-5 started without restorting to putting the ram in the frezzer.
That was the only real use for the Vdimm mod IMO, otherwise it's crap.

Back