• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Legal question about winXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tekko

I just lost my WinXP CD to a freak accident(CD rack was thrown down by my hyperactive cat) and the CD now has a crack, if I download a CD image will it be illegal considering I bought my XP licence? Would Microsoft send me a replacement CD if I send them back the damaged disk?

Hmm, interesting problem. I really doubt MS would be of much help here, but if I weren't in a big rush I would try to go through them first. Afterall if you did pay for the license, but the CD was damaged they really have no reason not to help you. Even if it is just for the cost of shipping a new CD or whatever. At least you avoid all of the problems of potentially getting some other unwelcome additions by downloading a pirated OS.

BTW, your key won't necessarily work with some other CD that you use. Different versions use different keys, so you would probably need to find the exact same version as you have for that to work.

Tekko said:
I just lost my WinXP CD to a freak accident(CD rack was thrown down by my hyperactive cat) and the CD now has a crack, if I download a CD image will it be illegal considering I bought my XP licence? Would Microsoft send me a replacement CD if I send them back the damaged disk?
Call and ask. They may actually be receptive to that sort of thing.

yeah call and ask fisrt they may sort something else then again they may say you need a "new" license you just never know with them!

They will replace the disk for a small shipping and handling fee of $299.99 (Continental 48 states only).

MRD said:
They will replace the disk for a small shipping and handling fee of $299.99 (Continental 48 states only).

No kiddin'.... :rolleyes: I wouldn't be shocked....

Anyway, I recommend talking to Microsoft first. If they do replace the disk for little or no cost, I would do what I feel is ethically OK. ;)

MRD said:

Trouble I live in the continental 10 province only

I will call them tommorow morning before work, I've posted on there support page and I have yet to have an answer...

I accidently scratched my copy of Windows XP Pro (upgrade). I only had it a few weeks. I called Microsoft. They asked if it was a retail version. If I had said no then that would have ended the call. They then asked for the Poduct Key. For $30 they sent me one of those "Not for retail or OEM distribution" CDs. It was better than paying another $200. They did NOT want me to send back the original CD.

There should be a law that companies who copy protect their media so you cannot back it up must replace media that becomes unusable at no charge to the user.

Honestly, I think microsoft could care less about the media itself. When you purchase Windows XP, your paying for the product key. If you download an ISO and use a pirated key... = stealing. Though, if you downloaded the ISO and used your own key, than your within the law. You bought the key already =)

The only problem is, that key will only work for that particular release. ie you can't use a service pack 1a OEM key on a service pack 2 retail version.

Good luck!

~ Gos

M$ still looks at your losing a CD as a chance to take another couple hundred bucks out of your wallet. They think that no one can live without windows, so you'll have no choice but to buy another copy of windows, which makes money for them.

It's not really in their interests to make it easy to replace the CD.

Personally, I don't see anything morally/ethically wrong with just copying another CD and using your key.

in the UK it is illegal, I used to Kazaa stuff that I owned on tape from years ago, and then I found out that the law didn't allow for it. I have to buy it all again, this is one of the reasons why I feel little sympathy for RIAA type organisations.

>HyperlogiK< said:
in the UK it is illegal, I used to Kazaa stuff that I owned on tape from years ago, and then I found out that the law didn't allow for it. I have to buy it all again, this is one of the reasons why I feel little sympathy for RIAA type organisations.

there was a thread somewhere on how to use nlite to accommodate xp for certain key's.

i can't find it but i now i read it.

i still use kazaalite for "legal" stuff like pictures :) , i hear about how bad it is and how there's nothing useful there, my answer to that is more people use kazaa than any other p2p program.

my buddies have paid for morpheus pro and i still find everything they look for and for free.

I suggest creating an image of your hard drive. You can purchase the image software from various companies, Symantec's Ghost being the most popular. This would help save you a couple of bucks.

I'd also give them a call. Microsoft has been listening lately to the public since other operating systems have become more useable. Microsoft has also been making an attempt to become more "friendly" lately since they have become more of a public figure and not just a company.

I strongly advise against any attempt at downloading and installing any ISO off of the internet. Many of these have root viruses along with their packaging which has the hightest access to your computer. It would allow for full access to everything.

You are allowed to make a backup copy of Windows XP:

Back-up Copy.

YOU MAY MAKE A SINGLE BACK-UP COPY OF THE SOFTWARE.
YOU MAY USE ONE (1) BACK-UP COPY SOLELY FOR YOUR ARCHIVAL
PURPOSES AND TO REINSTALL THE SOFTWARE ON THE COMPUTER.

Back