• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory doesnt have certain timings ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSM4Life

Ok i was reading about OC my memory and it says that DDR400 is good at 2 2 2 5 1T , so i say what the hell let me give it a try. I go into BIOS (quite - off) and i check my memory, i dont even have the option for them values ?! :shrug:

these are only vales i have :
TCL 2.5 >
Tras 5 >
Trcd 7 >
Trap 2 >

???????? How can this be ?

99% of memory is rated in this order: CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS.

First bet for lack of settings is the fact that its an MSI.

Second thing to do would be to upgrade the BIOS to the latest.

Hi DSM! I don't know why the regular bios choices are not there. It may have something to do with 4 sticks inserted, but I really don't believe that's it. Do you have high performance timings in the Cell Menu set to manual? Also, aggressive timing and dynamic overclocking disabled?

High per - manual
Agg timing - disabled
dynamic - disabled

...anything else ?

It was like this before when i had two sticks. I remember going in there trying to play around and set my memory timings to systems like mine but could never find the timing options. I just got fed up with it and stop playing with memory timings and went to CPU timing. Now i understand that its back to memory which i can figure this out.

Well, above the High performance entry is Dram Configuration. You highlight it and press enter. You should be able to then highlight and enter each setting. There should be multiple timing choices. If there are not then I suspect something is wrong with the bios. You can go to live update and flash the newest version in windows or with a floppy. There are also a number of modded versions out there that work preety well. (they have extra memory dividers, 183 and 150) I can't give you that link right now as the server appears to be down. Good luck with it.

DSM4Life said:
i have the timings in there but they dont go low enough
They don't go lower than the ones in your original post? They will adjust higher? Maybe it is the bios, but I do not remember any behavior like that when I ran 4x256 on the old 1.4 bios.
BTW, here the link to MoPMatrix's bios page here. I think you should try another bios to see if you can get different options. The only other choice is the A64 tweaker and I have always found that a bit dicey trying to get all the parameters set correctly.

I found this under MOD versions of Offical BIOS'sVersion 1.90 MOD2 by Syar -Hidden options shown
- Hidden Options Shown
- Enhanced Memory Timings Unhidden

Maybe something like this. I have never used one of the BIOS . How do i know which one i can and cant flash to ?

DSM4Life said:
I found this under MOD versions of Offical BIOS'sVersion 1.90 MOD2 by Syar -Hidden options shown
- Hidden Options Shown
- Enhanced Memory Timings Unhidden

Maybe something like this. I have never used one of the BIOS . How do i know which one i can and cant flash to ?
Those hidden options are not the regular timings that you are looking for, they are additional timings options. You may just want to update to an official bios with live update if you are feeling uncertain about flashing to a modded bios. Your current version is 2 updates old. I can tell you that I use the v1.B Rev2 Standard Edition by Sideeffect with good success. (It's at the top of the page center column.) I suggest you stay away from Beta or modded beta versions. (columns 3 and 4)

Yes. it is. All that I can figure is it is disabled in the official bios so you can't try and run it too fast with four sticks of ram. That give me an idea. Just for an experiment, take two sticks out and boot into the bios. If the other timings are now there then we know it's the way the bios was set up, if they are not there than there is a problem in your bios flash. It should only take five minutes and we will learn something about the problem How about it?

rseven said:
Yes. it is. All that I can figure is it is disabled in the official bios so you can't try and run it too fast with four sticks of ram. That give me an idea. Just for an experiment, take two sticks out and boot into the bios. If the other timings are now there then we know it's the way the bios was set up, if they are not there than there is a problem in your bios flash. It should only take five minutes and we will learn something about the problem How about it?

Ok i fought tooth and nail but i finally got the manual out. I found this is the manual.

p -2-9

1. The max memory speed decreases when the follorwing two memory combinations is selected.
*Each channel is installed with two double-sided memory modules.

The TWINX1024-3200C2 are they dual sided memory ?

Also it says to insert memory into the green slots FIRST then the purple and is highly recommened to be inserted this way. Oops. I am going to pull them tonight and try just two sticks and see what happens.

What they are referring to is the ram speed goes from 400MHz to 333MHz when you have 4 sticks of double sided ram however, that was in the days of a Winchester. The Venice will run at 400MHx with 4x512. Most 512mb sticks of ram are dual sided. (There are a few exceptions.) You can just look at the ram, even with heat spreaders, and tell. Single sided ram just means that the ram chips are just mounted on one side of the PCB and the other side is flat. Dual sided you will see the chips sticking out of both sides of the PCB.

Well i tried with the two sticks and still no good. Also, the memory is double sided.

I looked up the memory from manf. and it states this,

XMS3200

Part Number Speed Size Latency Package Heat Spreader

TWINX2048-3200C2 XMS3200 2048MB 2-3-3-6-1T 2x184 DIMM Black

I am guessing it is laid out like stated before, cas , trcd, trp, tras.

:shrug: just confused

**EDIT

Ok MSI list them differently , they list in this order

tcl
tcrd
tras
trp
which i guess is weird. I got the memory to boot at .

tcl 2.5
tcrd 3
tras 6
trp 3
[2T]

Now i hear that with a 64 i should always be running 1T , my question is , Are there any other settings that i need to change first before changing to 1T ?
It seems to no boot into T1

I tried 2.5 3 6 3 1T cant boot

Last edited:
They will never work at 1t with four sticks as the A64 memory controller just can't do it. Also, what kind of vdimm voltage do you have? I don't know what chipsets are in those things but You you might try giving it more juice.

Back