• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest, bad ram and a usb flash drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goog`

i just bought 1024 mbs of ddr 2700 generic ram for a cs server i have. I replaced 512 3200 of pqi. Before i upgraded my server had about 3 weeks of uptime but it was laggy however after i installed the ram i can't get 1 hour which leads me to suspect memory errors. The computer also freezes and randomly restarts wheras before it was as stable as a rock.
I was going to run Memtest86 but i don't have any working floppy drives so how on earth do i get memtest to boot/run from a floppy drive and am I correct in suspecting the generic ram as my problem?

Last edited:
What's the stock Vdimm on that RAM?

By the sounds of the problem looks like DIMMS aren't getting enough power, so try bumping up your Vdimm by .1V or .2V which would most likely solve the problem.

Also before replacing PQI sticks did you clear CMOS or restore BIOS?

The reason I'm asking is because if you didn't the previous timings that PQI sticks ran on may be to tight or to loose for these.

So just to be sure reset your BIOS and see if that helps if bumping your Vdimm doesn't do anything.

sorry, i thought i replied to this but i guess i didn't hit the reply button. Anyways i returened the ram and got some cosair sticks of the same size now everything works. Morale of the story... DON'T BUY BAD GENERIC COMPUTUTER OR CAR PARTS!

Back