• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista "longhorn"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if u search a few people made threads about what they thought of vista .. but basically beta1 didnt have alot of the key features where as beta 2 which is due out soon .. has most of the new stuff in it

Well, I was planing on reformating my computer soon anyhow, so I think i'll back everything up and give it a shot. Then if i hate it ill just put xp home on once again.

So you are an MS beta tester?

Why not visit the MS forums or the 50 other Vista threads on here already - the search feature is your friend and so is google :)

I tested it and it didn't have the drivers for my MSI KM2M Combo-L Board's IDE Controller, it wouldn't install, painfully slow took 12 hours to get to the final install stage, then I gave up.

MS can't explain or even understand the problem, however the new build 5231 available on MSDN is apparently more stable, and has better driver support.

MRD said:
DRM riddled crippleware. Avoid at all costs imo.
Yes.

There are more important issues for OS writers to tackle than digital rights (wrongs?) management. Issues like stability, security, hardware support, and 64-bitness, in my opinion. If DRM is made an irremovable part of Microsoft Windows, I think I'll abandon it entirely--including gaming.

Captain Newbie said:
Yes.

There are more important issues for OS writers to tackle than digital rights (wrongs?) management. Issues like stability, security, hardware support, and 64-bitness, in my opinion. If DRM is made an irremovable part of Microsoft Windows, I think I'll abandon it entirely--including gaming.

DRM is going to be built into future hardware so your screwed anyway. Your Linux kernel won't save you now. And MRD, you can stop trolling. You post in just about every Windows thread saying it sucks. Get a life.

How long will it probably be between the second beta release and the final release? Any speculation?

Microsoft has finally named the date it will ship Windows Vista - 23 July 2006. As for Windows Vista Beta 2, we can expect it to be released on this coming 16 December.

beta 2 is out there....
and i posted linkage to in the cyber deals on how to sign up for beta testing

i went to a show where they had the beta 2 running on one of their pc's. it was a huge POS imo. lookedexactly like winxp with a nice-looking skin on it. not to mention that it ran slower than xp does. also, the vector-image system that's supposed to let you stretch your images/icons as much as you want without quality-loss, while it somewhat works, takes so long that it's not even worth it. plus as MRD mentioned, it has drm up its ***. i'll be sticking with linux and winxp if i need it.

Ebola said:
DRM is going to be built into future hardware so your screwed anyway. Your Linux kernel won't save you now. And MRD, you can stop trolling. You post in just about every Windows thread saying it sucks. Get a life.

ive noticed this too... completely anti microsoft at whatever cost.. from calling people fanboys to saying there whining about any mention of MS. glad another senior member called this out..

and back to the thread topic. i dont think vista is to be judged on its final release yet.. testing is just that. and the beta testers are not testing what will be released as a final.
as far as the beta goes. i think its a decent system (ive not installed but have had the chance to play with a vista box). i think they have there downfalls with drm but hey its the direction there moving. if you want to judge the whole os on that then its your right. but i think there alot more to it than just that.

if you have the chance of installing it i say why not !! not like you cant go back. and its always fun to get your toes wet in something new..

jnev_89 said:
i went to a show where they had the beta 2 running on one of their pc's. it was a huge POS imo. lookedexactly like winxp with a nice-looking skin on it. not to mention that it ran slower than xp does. also, the vector-image system that's supposed to let you stretch your images/icons as much as you want without quality-loss, while it somewhat works, takes so long that it's not even worth it. plus as MRD mentioned, it has drm up its ***. i'll be sticking with linux and winxp if i need it.

what kind of rig was running it ?? and when you say slow ? compared to what ? what else have you seen do this that was fast ?

and i have a good feeling there will of course be a "alternate" route around drm. somebody somehwere with as much hate for it as the next will come up with something.. they usually do ..

Recall that XP is mostly Win2K with a nicer skin on it plus stuff to make it usable for home users.

I would not put it past the, shall we say, "less-than-reputable" parts of the computer world, to find a way around the DRM. I still don't like it.

Ebola, we can still try to fight something that is, in effect, a violation of the First and Fourth Amendments. It may be a losing battle, but it's still worth trying.

Captain Newbie said:
I would not put it past the, shall we say, "less-than-reputable" parts of the computer world, to find a way around the DRM. I still don't like it.

"less-than-reputable" ah now come on... :cool:

i agree with you... i dont like it either ... but it is what it is..

Last edited:
After looking at vista I think that it is going to be the OS that pushes Debian from my backup machine to my main rig. Cedega all the way.

I've used it and I don see anything special for now, maybe when its gonna be a final release there will be some good new stuff thats about it.

Back