• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Editing boot text

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlucardCasull

I am "dual booting" xp pro setup and the os. I need to get rid of that cause its annoying. What part of the boot text should I edit to just get rid of it.
Would it be this part?

C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"

If you just change the delay to 0, you won't see the menu and it will always autoboot the default.

Can you boot now? And you are not currently trying to install a second OS? (Where did the "XP Pro Setup" entry come from? Is this all on 1 partition?). If so, boot into the main OS, and edit the boot.ini file from the "My Computer / Properties / Advanced / Startup & Recovery:Settings", and you can select the proper OS as the default. Set your delay to "0", and you should be OK.

You can also open the "boot.ini" file directly from that screen, and edit it manually using notepad. You would need to delete the un-needed "Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup" entry, AND make sure the default OS is set properly (proper drive, proper partition), then save the boot.ini file. You can also re-name the OS installs, as I did with my triple-boot XP installs (on my boot menu, I have "Main XP Install; AUDIO XP Install ; and Extra XP Install" as my options, with "Main XP Install" being the default on "Disk 1; Partition 1" after 5 seconds). If you mess up, you can always boot from the XP-CD Recovery Console, and repair the boot.ini file from there (it might still re-detect the "XP Pro Setup" if it is lingering on your HD, but at least you would be back to where you are now).

:cool:

Last edited:
Back