• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does this make sense to anyone

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kr0n0s

Registered
below is a quote from a local fellow

this lengthy explaination began when he reported that he was running his ram in DDR250 specs. however his CPU-z was only showing the memory @ 115 Mhz and his multiplier was set to CPU/20.

does his explanaition make sense to anyone as to why the speeds are showing as they are?

The memory is running Async to the CPU in which the DDR is 20mhz higher.

I am not sure your understanding the fact that the 115mhz is being calculated differently in the bios against a 216mhz DDR fequency, plus the HT setting and the CPU multiplyer.

To fully explain this it would take me hours to tell you.

The 115mhz means nothing for the DDR.

It is the frequency for the CPU making it 230FSB for the CPU.

This does not make it DDR 460.

The DDR Memclock is at 250 in the Bios a setting which it took this motheboard a 216mhz "Very Good" memclock frequency to do so.

Now I never really give my secrets away, but this time I will show what this system is setup at.

Now to explain further as I rather be teaching someone this stuff anyway, but I do not take any responsibility for your actions if you use my settings or if you happen to overclock your computer by using any advice I may type here.

10x Mulitiplyer
with 115mhz frequency = 230FSB
4x HT
2T command rate

DDR memclock is at 216mhz when calculated against the HT setting and multiplyer it makes it a frequency of 250 = DDR500 rating.

Timings are at the 2.5-4-4-10 speed rated for this memory at DDR 500.

Many reviews sites say it is Impossible to do DDR500 on a AMD 64 3000 to 4000 setup on these memory modules and some others. I just proven them Wrong. It takes a little know how that is all.

The review sites are only thinking about FSB, just like you are in a syncronys setup.

Is it possible to do?

It just very well maybe, but it will take more testing from me to see if it (syncronys) can be done, but is not really needed when the memory is doing what it said it can do and really there is no difference of Async to Sync on a 64 bit setup.

Think about it for a second do you think this setup is at its full potential yet.

Max 2.5ghz - 2.7ghz can be reached, but not yet running at.

The setup is basically running at all STOCK settings except the CPU which is 100mhz overclocked... not needed to be so, but is right now.

The memory is at Stock 2.5-4-4-10 settings for DDR500.

The Video card is at stock settings.

The Cpu is 2300 instead of 2200, 2.3ghz 100mhz overclocked.

***note***

This is on the OCZ 1GB PC4000 Gold rev2 kit that I am selling. This just goes to show once again the Power of the OCZ technology modules can do compared against certain other manufacturer brands.

I am waiting for the 2GB platinum EB kit to arrive to see what its potential is.

After reading your post twice I understand only about half of it. Yes, you can run ram at a 216 divider and run it faster than the CPU. This is a recent improvement made in by AMD. Earlier CPU's were not capable of this , which is why you can find articles saying it's not possible. That it's possible however, is not a reason to do it. There is generally little to be gained and for most people their CPU can out clock their ram anyway. Add to that the need to run a 2t and the whole idea begins to just fall apart. There might be a rare situation where this makes sense, (Bad CPU and great ram) but for the most part I see no point in it.

what hes trying to tell me is that his memory is actually ruinning @DDR500 speeds. yet CPU-z is reporting less that DDR266 . only 230MHz.

why would CPUz report less speeds than it supposed to?

kr0n0s said:
what hes trying to tell me is that his memory is actually ruinning @DDR500 speeds. yet CPU-z is reporting less that DDR266 . only 230MHz.

That doesnt quite make sense, as RAM at 230 MHz would equal DDR460 effectively..and what do you mean by DDR266? DDR266 effectively would be 133MHz.

Do you mean CPU-z is reporting 230MHz when you were expecting to see 250MHz? (DDR500) ?
Is he running a divider? What about his cpu multi, is it at x.5?

Misfit138 said:
That doesnt quite make sense, as RAM at 230 MHz would equal DDR460 effectively..and what do you mean by DDR266? DDR266 effectively would be 133MHz.

Do you mean CPU-z is reporting 230MHz when you were expecting to see 250MHz? (DDR500) ?
Is he running a divider? What about his cpu multi, is it at x.5?

I think we have a winner!! probably running his cpu multi with .5 on an older nvidia board and getting a small divider as a result. It's also expecting to see the DDR value of the memory in CPU not the actual FSB value.

Sorry, I can't help it if I still laugh at people that get confused about that.

The only thing is this guy has posted this message like 50 gazillion times on every single message board I go to... grrrr.

cpuz shows this in the memory tab

Frequency : 115Mhz
FSB:DRAM : CPU/20
etc
etc
etc

is his ram not running @ 115Mhz.

this guy thinks he has his ram @ 250Mhz. when i tried to tell him something was off he listed the above as a reason why.

heres the screen shots he has posted

cpuz.jpg

cpuz1.jpg
cpuz4.jpg

ever.jpg

now. my thought is that this guy is confused, thinking that the SPD tab in cpuz is showing him his ram speed rather than the modules rated speed (250)
and that everest is showing him the speed of the ram in the brackets (250) rather than what the ram is rated for.

IS his ram seriously underclocked @ 115Mhz?

Back