• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Windows problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

This is a new one for me, just started recently. Sometimes I go to launch something, doesn't matter what: maybe Outlook, or Nero, or another Windows based thing. I double click, then it shows me an hourglass for about 2 seconds, then nothing happens. Program never runs. If check task manager though, it IS running. It won't show up under the Applications tab, but under Processes it will show up along with how much memory it is using. If I try to end the process, it is never able to do anything. It just always runs. The only way to fix it is to reboot using reset button. If I try to just click shutdown and restart, the system hangs on the windows exit screen.

What the heck is wrong?

I am not sure what's wrong, but I would try a spyware and ativirus scan first. If that doesn't work try running a system file check.
Click [Start] [Run] and type sfc /scannow in the [Open] box.
(Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Then you'll be promted to insert your XP disk. It will take about 10 minutes and the you'll need to reboot.
Good luck with it.

could be spyware\virus, registry glitches, temp file problems. First try uninstalling the program, use a registry cleaner to get out all entries of it, then reinstall. Your best bet however would be to reformat and reinstall (all this after doing a virus\spyware scan).

I've developed this problem after having an S load of programs installed, perhaps an occassional botched install of Nero, leaving my computer on for 5 days straight without a reboot, etc. Can one say page file fragmentation, lol.

GL, let us know what happens buddy.

i have had this issue when i don't give programs enough time during installation to complete themselves.

what i mean is, i will get a program ready to install, i go through the process impatiently and just start clicking to get it over with. it seems that some programs are updating the registry in the background, during this period i'm already openning mozilla/winamp/cd ripping etc.

i know give app's enough time to fully install and update the registry. i reboot>defrag> and off i go.

My honest answer to this is that your system is unstable, and if it is not, then I would try exactly what the other three members said, in order of their posts.

A slightly unstable system could cause insane amounts of corruption. If you are stable now, you better think back and remember if you were ever slightly unstable since your initial format/install of windows. If you were unstable for a single moment in time since your last windows install or during, then you may have corrupted something.

Think back... were you ever unstable when you did a windows update, install a program, scan your computer, reinstall/format windows? These could all likely cause this. If it's not a virus or 3rd party program affecting your performance here, then my bet is that somewhere along the line you were unstable.

If you have been stable, then why don't you try running a stability test now. I've had systems that were stable for so long and eventually grew unstable (weird, yes, but it happens).

Weel, I am trying a trial version of system mechanic 6, and it seems to have solved the problem so far. I did all kinds of system cleaning, including registry, defrag, chkdsk, virus/spyware clean, and a bunch of other stuff. So far I haven't had the problem happen, but it has only been a day.

To repeat the problem: It's not any one program, just random. So far it has happened with Nero, Outlook, Word, and I think 1 or 2 other programs. But it's just random: I'll reboot and everything will be fine, then at random it will not work again...

As for stability, I've been stable all the time on this setup. I'm currently up to 230X10 with no problems. I tried bumping down to stock speeds though just to see if that would help, but the problem continued.

Anyways, we'll see if the system mechanic stuff did the trick.

I really think something may have been corrupted, bro. You may have to format, but let us know.

Nice avatar btw...

Back