• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any S604 Motherboard with DDR1 / PCI-E Support?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

loafer87gt

Registered
Just put together my first dually build this summer and am really happy with it except that I would really like to be able to upgrade my video card to one of the latest gen models. Currently, I am running two 2.4 LV Prestonia Engineering sample Xeons (running at 3.4) on a Asus NCCH-DL motherboard paired with 2 x 1024 of Corsairs TwinX CAS 2 memory. The weaklink in my system right now is my AGP 6800GT, which is unable to drive alot of my games and 3d apps at acceptable speeds at my monitors native res of 1920x1200.

What would be the best upgrade path for me, and is there such a beast as a motherboard with DDR1 and PCI-E support? SLI support would be very desirable as well. I kinda gambled going with the AGP / DDR1 platform for my build assuming that we would get at least one more generation of video cards from Nvidia and ATI, but I guess I guessed wrong :(

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Supermicro has some e7525 (PCI-Express) boards that support DDR1, actually a good number of them that are a lot more available than the IWill (the only DN800 really out there is the SLI, and that takes DDR2)

However, you're out of luck with the CPUs. Because of a redo of the power circuitry in the Prestonia-Nocona move, the new Nocona PCIe boards cannot take Prestonias. The differences will fry the board and/or CPU. That's why its specified compatibility is only 800 MHz FSB, because no Prestonia is that at stock.

Back