• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Gold Edition VX PC-3200 versus Mushkin Redline XP3200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

benbaked

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member
Hi,

I've checked the sticky on the list of memory chips used and see that both the OCZ Gold VX 3200 and Mushkin Redline XP3200 both use UTT CH-5 chips (hopefully that's still the case).

Are the differences between these two sticks minimal or does it basically boil down to a preference of brand name? I've heard and read very good things about both Mushkin and OCZ.

I'm purchasing a Vantec 520w power supply along with the ram I choose too, I'm looking forward to infusing some new blood into this system.

Thanks.

Mushkin no longer uses UTT chips on any of their modules, but as far as OCZ didn't hear anything from them so I'm assuming they they are still using them.

RedDragonXXX said:
Mushkin no longer uses UTT chips on any of their modules, but as far as OCZ didn't hear anything from them so I'm assuming they they are still using them.

good to know, thanks for the tip. i think i'm gonna scrap the idea of the vantec psu and get a fortron ax500-a instead.

wait , when did they change the VX from utt-ch5 to utt-bh5 ?
The last time I checked the plain gold edition had bh5 and the vx has ch5 . Am I missing something here ?

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
good call on the PSU. also, VX gold isnt CH-utt is BH-utt. its good stuff, get it while you can.

the order is on its way, thanks for the help! :cool:

|3ourne said:
wait , when did they change the VX from utt-ch5 to utt-bh5 ?
The last time I checked the plain gold edition had bh5 and the vx has ch5 . Am I missing something here ?
That's what I thought b/c the CH5 UTT 'supposedly' does better than BH5 UTT at higher voltage, and the BH5 UTT does better than CH5 UTT at lower voltage.

I've gotten my twinmos speed premium BH5 UTT to do ddr400 2-2-2-5 at default voltage, whereas none of my CH5 UTT stuff was able to.

I think CH5 UTT has more headroom, though... but still, that's kinda like the difference between the old BH5 and BH6... sometimes it's not always true.

ive got the OCZ el VX and a dfi board, (giving it 3.2V) MAKE sure you have some kind of active cooling on the memory if you are going to give it 3.2V ( I just have a Ghetto rigged 80mm fan sitting over them) BUT!! they do get extremely hot with no fan!

make something like this if you can... use a hanger to make them into clips and put them in series if you want (that part is up to you):

ramcool2.jpg
ramcool1.jpg

in action:
ramcool.jpg

RedDragonXXX said:

If we change anything we'll let everyone know. They are still on UTT :)

mushkin still has utt but only in their Redlines XP4000 . And that too w/e stock is left in the country. They are officially not producing anymore utt based memory since infenion discontinued their UTT-CH5 lineup.
OCZ still has them maybe becoz they still have stock left to produce memories.

we can still buy as many bh utt that we want but we are seeing problems with the bh utt. 1. it takes too much voltage and not many motherboards can up voltages 2. it takes away from the tccd/ tcc5 which works on every board across the field. 3. we are seeing more and more cold boot and dead modules after some periods of time. thus we decided NOT to move forward with bh UTT. and from what winbond/ infineon has told me they will face those out shortly too cuz you low yeild rate.

Duonger

I think your #2 point is the most important. The TCCD/5 stuff is so much less of a hassle, around the same price range, and performs AT LEAST as good as UTT stuff. This all ties into your point #2. Why have a chip that requires more maintenence and more risks if it's going to compete against something that already sells good (tccd/5)?

I mean... TCCD/5 was selling nicely, at its $200 range. UTT came out and sold around the same range... for what? To compete against something that already had no problems, that actually has problems of its own?

I completely agree with the phasing out of it. The only real advantage that I can see with UTT is that it can run outrageous bandwidth at lower FSB than TCCD/5. I guess it came in useful to the people with high multis, like the 3500+ and beyond.

Then again, this will be good for me, as I still have 3 gigs of UTT left (sold 11 gigs already, lol).

g0dM@n said:
I think your #2 point is the most important. The TCCD/5 stuff is so much less of a hassle, around the same price range, and performs AT LEAST as good as UTT stuff. This all ties into your point #2. Why have a chip that requires more maintenence and more risks if it's going to compete against something that already sells good (tccd/5)?

I mean... TCCD/5 was selling nicely, at its $200 range. UTT came out and sold around the same range... for what? To compete against something that already had no problems, that actually has problems of its own?

I completely agree with the phasing out of it. The only real advantage that I can see with UTT is that it can run outrageous bandwidth at lower FSB than TCCD/5. I guess it came in useful to the people with high multis, like the 3500+ and beyond.

Then again, this will be good for me, as I still have 3 gigs of UTT left (sold 11 gigs already, lol).

well UTT also helps in gaming performance . The low latencies really shine in games . When UTT first came out , TCCD was well above 100 USD than UTT. It was a great cheap alternative. TCCD is good memory but it was there to sort of fill the void in the market that bh5 left. Didnt do as great a job as bh5 for sure. I terms of bandwidth it lags behind micron/utt any day. But it did give ppl with lower multis a chance for some 1:1 action.
I can tell you this much , I have two pairs of gskill LE tccd both of which do at least 305 mhz 2.5-3-3-5 , and a pair of redlines which do 265 mhz 2-2-2-5 . Guess which one I like the most ? :p

Back