• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my "old" RAM going to cause me problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Papa_Legba

I have currently 1 GB (2x512) of Kingston HyperX PC3000. Currently they are running at PC3200 speeds (200MHz) at Cas 2, 6-2-2. This is BH-5, I made sure of it when I bought.

I am looking to add another 1GB, and I'd like to add something that can allow me to keep my current speeds. Probably looking at 2x512 of PC3200. Really, with so many new RAM choices and brands and chips, my major concern is compatibility. I've read of different versions of Corsair not playing well with each other for example. I mean, if 2 different models of RAM from the same manufacturer can't play together, what are the chances that I buy some A-Data (for example) and it will play with my Kingston? Am I right to be worried about this or is it unlikely to cause problems. Current Kingston HyperX prices are ridiculous.

Current PC specs are:

2.4C P4 SL6Z3 @ 3.0 GHz
Mobo = Epox 4PCA3+
above mentioned RAM

Mate,

Generally speaking, one must realize that the compatibility metric is applicable in the context of the SPD and the chips on the RAM, not who makes them. Ofcourse, ideally, one would like to have 4 x 512 Gb modules of the same chips, same SPD and the same company. The next best option would be to shoot for same chips and same SPD.

Since Dual channel isn't an issue with P4's, these parameters can be relaxed quite a bit, to say, same chips or same SPD. I have not really played around with an Intel rig, so you might want to double check with those who do own Intel rigs.

Hope this helps.

S-N

Thanks for your input. I've had these modules of classic BH-5 for almost 2 years now, I know they don't really make it anymore. Basically it makes it almost impossible to get new modules that are the same chip/spd as the old stuff. I guess I just wanted to know if any other people had mixed before and whether it would be an issue.

Papa_Legba said:
Thanks for your input. I've had these modules of classic BH-5 for almost 2 years now, I know they don't really make it anymore. Basically it makes it almost impossible to get new modules that are the same chip/spd as the old stuff. I guess I just wanted to know if any other people had mixed before and whether it would be an issue.

Classic BH-5 is the still best high voltage option in my book. You could look around e-bay or anandtech for more. The best way to find out would be to test them yourself. Maybe we can learn a thing or two from your experience :)

What I would not recommend is, parting with those modules. Excellent stuff. Definite keepers.

Back