• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Error With IE6 While Working In XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

As of late I keep getting this strange error if that's what you call it for example if I'm watching a video with WMP10. Or playing music or even going through My Computer after a while if I close down WMP10 or exit from My Computer. I get a notice saying "Windows Explorer has encountered an error" with the usual Send and Don't Send choices.

Now looking in Event Viewer it comes up with this small report (Shown Below) it's strange cause the task bar vanises for a sec and comes back. Only to have the icons taken away except my Ethernet Icon which reappears, If I log off and log on it's fine. But does it again unless I fully restart it can't be my overclocking can it I can play games and everything and my temps are below 40 for a full load too.

Your taskbar and icons are dissapearing because explorer is shutting down then restarting its self. As far as why your getting the error, I am not sure. You might try a reinstall of IE6. Here is a link to the full install.

A guy on the Microsoft Forums said that I could so the same he pointed out a link to an official guide from Microsoft.Com. There only solution which was 1 line long was to re-install Service Pack 2 I don't think that would help it's strange cause it hasn't done it today. My PC was on for about 3 hours stright and it only stalled when playing a video through WMP10.

And it played hasn't come up with that taskbar vanishing thing yet maybe it's fixed I've no idea. Here's a point if I shut down IE6 to quick could that cause a problem it did this last time after I suddenly closed it.

I had the same problem happen when playing .ogm (or was it .mkv...whatever) encoded anime. Turns out it was a stray codec that would cause explorer to restart. I had the klite codec pack installed at the time.

I would suggest (if this is the problem you are having) to uninstall any codec packs you have installed and install a 'clean' and recognized (lol) codec pack such as the cccp codec pack (scroll down for download links) and see if it clears up.

If it doesn't, you can try to disable previews in explorer (that dumb preview window on the side of explorer windows) and see if it helps.

Yah the codec pack sounds like a possibility. I personally dont use anypacks.

I install DivX, XviD, AC3, Quick Alternative and Real Alternative, and I never have a problem.

I have AVICodec and Gspot to identify any other codecs that I might need, but I do not do a lot of DLing anymore so I dont come across the obscure codecs.

If you instal too many codecs you can run into problems as previously suggested.

The fact that Windows does not know what caused the error is distressing. Do you have any other errors listed? Or starup and shutdown events listed right before it?

No apart from DCOM complaining (as I used the Blackviper guide to shut down some services) that's all then the problem used to come up after an hour. It did seem like IE was restarting I have no codec's install apart from my audio codec's for my nVidia Nforce Chipset of course.

I also have these plugins (shown below) sometimes when WMP10 stalls I shut it down open it back up. And it says "WMP10 was not shut down properly due to a plug-in all plug-in's have been disabled. I wonder since I've not activated them again that may be the problem.

Back