• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh crap I've fried my system...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maharg

HELP!

Okay, like a jackass I decided to try the emboss patched K7D bios, without knowing much of what I was getting into.

I used winflash to flash to emboss' BIOS, it ran successfully, I rebooted, now the system won't boot or post. :(

I know, I was a moron to do this without doing more research, etc., but I just want my baby back! Do any of you pros out there know how I can restore my system? I've tried clearing the CMOS but she doesn't want to post for me. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated, I hope I'm not totally SOL...

Hotflash the bios chip or send it to someone who would be willing to flash it for you. I have the exact board so I'm willing, if you'd like.

I'll work on the 5 more posts :)

Moz - thanks for the offer, you've got PM.

How exactly would having my BIOS chip flashed work and what is required to do so? Is there anything else I can try short of sending my chip to someone, or is that pretty much my only option at this point.

so angry at myself lol...

Oh and is there any place that sells replacement chips on the web? I looked briefly but couldn't find anything.

well what happens that it won't post? The K7D has 4 led lights that are either red or green and what combination they are red/green will tell you why it won't post (check your user manual for what the codes mean).

If none of those LEDs even light up then I'm not sure, I would have to say new bios chip or have yours re-flashed like the others suggested.

I get a R/G/R/R error, which is the memory detection test.

To be honest, the LED system has always been kind of funky on my board, even when the comp ran fine it was never G/G/G/G.

It was working great, I tried to flash, then it wouldn't post so I have to assume it is a BIOS issue.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to look into some places online - there are people on Ebay who sell chips for $15 also.

Which BIOS did you flash, and what BIOS were you flashing from? Also, what bridge/pin modifications have you doen to your CPUs? Finally, try yanking any PCI cards from the system (there is a very remote chance that the BIOS mod could interfere with them).

Midnight Dream said:
*Note* Its a classified link. Get 5 more posts then you should be able to get there.

Sheeez... what a vicious system!!!! Nothing quite like helping others out eh :bang head

I have done this a few times.
I am not sure if it was the same motherboard, but im sure it wasnt.
If you have/friend has a bios chip that has the same configuration it should work just fine.

Shawn

As i remember, when i tried many non-working bioses from emboss :D, the led will be all red.

I've seen R-G-R-R sometimes, it means that those MP bridges on your chip don't have good contact OR the CPU multi is beyond its capacity. Try painting OR check your multiplier pinmod.

Hope this help.

UPDAte

So I ordered a new BIOS chip off someone on Ebay, and it arrived today.

When I plug it in and try to boot up the system, all LEDs are RED and the system makes a clicking noise.

This differs from my old chip, where the LEDs were NOT all red. Another difference is that with the new bios chip, I am able to use the reset and power buttons on the case, this was not so with my old chip.

I'm at a loss guys...not sure what to try next. I have to run to class now, maybe I'll try popping the old one back in when I get back. Is there any sort of key combination I can hold to perform a reset of the BIOS? Any suggestions on where to start are GREATLY appreciated.

I really want to get this system fixed before starting my P4 630 rig.

Originally I flashed with the latest version that was on your site, emboss. When that didn't boot up I ordered the new chip, which came wrapped in a kleenex (which I'm not too impressed by). The seller also never responded to my questions of whether he got it to program no problem. I think I'll try plugging the old chip back in just to confirm my earlier post, in hopes that you guys can help me out with the added info.

EDIT

OK I plugged the old BIOS chip back in and I'm still getting R/G/R/R and the clicking noise is gone. I'm thinking this chump sent me the wrong chip (the numbers on the top don't match the original chip) or it was shorted in shipping (wrapped in a kleenex...)

Thoughts? Should I start trying to pull PCI cards as someone else suggested?

Last edited:
order the bios chip from biosman. Guaranteed to be the right bios.... or send him you old and tell him which on you want flashed.... That's the safe smart bet....

just quoting to make sure you saw this:

dualAthlon said:
As i remember, when i tried many non-working bioses from emboss :D, the led will be all red.

I've seen R-G-R-R sometimes, it means that those MP bridges on your chip don't have good contact OR the CPU multi is beyond its capacity. Try painting OR check your multiplier pinmod.

Hope this help.

anyway have you tried to pull all unnecessary cards? tried booting with just one cpu? one stick of memory, etc..?

Back