• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft Operating Systems Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Captain Newbie

Senior Django-loving Member
I've noticed a gradual increase in the number of posts hailing Linux as the solution to any Microsoft OS problem. While it is something that is somewhat trivial, I think it falls under the same "IE + Firefox" advice heading. Just as it's a little silly to say "Dude just use Firefox" to any IE problem, "Dude, just use linux" is not a good suggestion for the random massive failure of a Microsoft OS.

If I were to come in with a question about fixing my Windows install, I wouldn't want to be told to convert. Same deal as Explorer vs. Firefox vs. every other web browser.

"Dude, just use linux" isn't a good answer for a PC user who has had his XP install stomped upon, mutilated or otherwise crippled and has turned to us for help.

*gets down off of soapbox* Thanks. :)

I agree with you, Captain Newbie. It's not only no help, but it rubs salt into the wounds, considering how frustrating Widows problems can be, this only adds insult to injury. Okay, I'll stop there. I'm temporarily out of cliches.:)

I used Linux in my last job as a Field Engineer for GE Medical Systems. GE moved from UNIX to Linux a few years ago on their CT scanners. It's very powerful, and it's incredibly stable... BUT I'm not ready to make the move on my personal PC just yet. I had tech support on the scanners, so if I did run into a problem, the fix was a phone call away. I don't have support with my personal PC, so I'm a little skeered to try it out. I'm pretty good with XP, so I'm in my "comfort zone", ya know what I mean?

As much as I hate Microshaft, I really feel like they hit a home run with XP. It's been incredibly stable for me. I've helped a few friends/family members make the switch from Win98 (YUCK!!!) and they all love it too. It's certainly not perfect, but when compared to Win98, it's like a horse 'n buggy compared to a Ferrari.

Back