• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Xp Pro Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adnonimape

Registered
I get an error, just randomly.....maybe someone can help me fix it?

Here's a pic of the error. It just happens, then I click Either Send, or Dont Send, and it closes explorer.exe (My taskbar and everything goes away)
then it re-appears.

error7gu.jpg

It happens quite often.

Such as...1 or 2 times per hour.

I cant seem to figure out the problem.

Have you tried the "Click here" option to see if there is any relevant information?

Try performing a repair install to see if it fixes the problem.

DragonTattooz said:
Have you tried the "Click here" option to see if there is any relevant information?

Try performing a repair install to see if it fixes the problem.
Yes. Occasionally, a pertinent update will be presented if you click on the click here link, or at least an explanation of what went wrong (sort of).

I wouldn't try a repair install just yet, I'd see if something else is at fault first.

Of course, then again, you could just cut to the chase...knowing Windows :cool:

Yeah, but the problem could concievably recur in Firefox or Opera.

Probably not. They are entirely separate code bases. The chances of sharing a bug are small.

I would probably suggest switching to a new browser as well. IE is just so flaky and insecure.

If I had to guess what was causing the issue, it's probably some sort of spyware, adware, virus, etc. IE is very insecure and prone to such things. So, the first step is running spybot, adware, etc. Then run norton or some other antivirus program. Download and install all IE security patches. If that doesn't work, try upgrading IE. Finally, try reinstalling it. If that doesn't work, you probably can't fix it without reinstalling windows.

IE is just such a huge security hole.

MRD said:
IE is just such a huge security hole.

every browser is a huge hole... its just a shame that most target IE. im sure if firefox was bigger than things would be the other way around.. give it time..

IE is a lot less secure intrinsically, due to ActiveX and buggy coding. However, that doesn't really matter. Who cares why? The bottom line is that if you run IE, you are more vulnerable. That's all I need to know to avoid it.

they are both vulnerable other precautions are necissary. simply using firefox will not remove you from the internet threats. there not the same so of course there threats will vary. some users choose to use active x with forefox. so what does that say about them ?

and can you elaborate on "buggy code" ?

WOW someone else who's getting the same problem as me check out my post below with what I put http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=420182

Anyways apart from one person replying saying you could re-install IE6 and gave me the link you can't. Cause it just say's IE6 set-up cannot continue as the version is a older version. It's happening to me about every 1 hour or so I was thinking could be my overclock but I don't think so.

I can play games and everything also WMP10 seems to be crashing and causing my taskbar to vanish and come back. I'm going to get onto Microsoft about this problem it's annoying me.

Ok. IT IS NOT AN IE PROBLEM. Regardless of whether I use IE, or not, its explorer.exe, which is a Windows process. iexplore.exe is the IE process, which has NO problems. I've also noticed that it happens MUCH more (almost everytime), I copy, paste, cut, delete, rename a file on my C drive. The ram is brand new, and its never had problems since I put it in, but I ran Prime95 for 8 hours on 'Blend', and i had no errors.

[EDIT]
I forgot to mention that when the error comes up, nothing freezes, or locks up, I can just move it out of the way, and continue on. But sooner or later, another one pops up, then I have 2, or 3, or 4 of them damn things.

I also defragged a bunch of times, and ran /sfc scannow in the run command, and ran scan disk.

Last edited:
adnonimape said:
Ok. IT IS NOT AN IE PROBLEM. Regardless of whether I use IE, or not, its explorer.exe, which is a Windows process. iexplore.exe is the IE process, which has NO problems. I've also noticed that it happens MUCH more (almost everytime), I copy, paste, cut, delete, rename a file on my C drive. The ram is brand new, and its never had problems since I put it in, but I ran Prime95 for 8 hours on 'Blend', and i had no errors.

[EDIT]
I forgot to mention that when the error comes up, nothing freezes, or locks up, I can just move it out of the way, and continue on. But sooner or later, another one pops up, then I have 2, or 3, or 4 of them damn things.

I also defragged a bunch of times, and ran /sfc scannow in the run command, and ran scan disk.

There have been some good suggestions in this thread. However, based on what you said, I would just run a repair install of WinXP. It doesn't take very long and it is non-destructive. That's what I would do, but I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of people here. BUT, my computer has run flawlessly since I built it 2 1/2 years ago, so I must have done something right. :cool:

Yeah, the other comps I built ran flawlessly, I dont see what the problem is with this one. Im positive its not a hardware issue, perhaps its a "Crappy Software" *cough*Microsoft*cough* issue?

prime95 can vary from memtest tests. and sometimes more than 8 hours will reveal a error.
"new ram" can also be faulty.

is your cpu overclocked ??

Back