• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what do i need to use my TV as a monitor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it's recommended you don't. TV resolution will make text almost unreadable.

you'd need a video card with tv-out, and the cable to connect to 2 together.

You'll still need a regular monitor to configure it first though, and I believe that is only in Windows that it will work. I had tried this years ago and I'm trying to remember now if it worked outside of Windows and I don't believe that it did.

My teachers have used converters. That take the monitor out signal and direct in 2 ways, 1 to your monitor and the second to your tv.

maybe something like one these would work? svideo.com

I would not recommend using a TV with a computer for doing anything except playing games and watching movies, even then the playing games is not as good as a monitor.
If you still want to go ahead then just about all modern graphics cards have a TV out function which in conjunction with cables & adapters can easily be connected to the scart socket on a TV. However as mentioned previously you will need to set the system up on a monitor initially to install drivers and the such.
If and when you get the picture onto the TV I would then suggest running at a very low resolution 640x480 and increasing all the text & icons etc in size so they are readable as well as using a high contrast colour scheme as TV pictures are not as clear.

Using S-Video output, on my HDTV, with flicker removal turned all the way down and sharpness turned all the way up, text is barely readable at 800x600.

Most video cards have S-Video output, and come with an S-Video to composite adapter. Its always better to use S-Video if your TV does have it.

I have a FX5200 ( :'( ) so i guess ill be getting the converter. Its to watch downloaded movies on, to save burning etc

Did your card not come with one? Most OEM cards come with an S-Video adapter.

Before buying, PM some people around here, many of them probably have quite a few of them laying around, from all the cards they buy.

If you're doing anything other than watching video, a regular TV will be worthless as a display. In order to read text it has to be 12-14pt for 640 x 480 or 16-20pt for 800 x 600. So don't expect to be able to surf the internet without having to use text magnification.
Your options are video output from a video card (not ideal) or a scan convertor (ideal, but costs more money).

I love using the scan convertor because it's purely hardware and requires no driver interaction so I can use the TV to setup the BIOS, troubleshoot drivers, etc.

If you're building a dedicated media machine I recommend using http://www.gbpvr.com as the front-end interface.

Know Nuttin said:
it's recommended you don't. TV resolution will make text almost unreadable.
You can read the text on the screen......barely, but I find that it gives me a headache after 15minutes.

Know Nuttin said:
You'll still need a regular monitor to configure it first though, and I believe that is only in Windows that it will work. I had tried this years ago and I'm trying to remember now if it worked outside of Windows and I don't believe that it did.
When I've had my 7500, 9600xt, 9800pro, and now my x800xl hooked up to the tv, they displayed immediately from the minute that the post screen would initally displayed on a standard monitor/LCD. You need to use drivers, when within windows, to set up which display is primary and which is secondary (when not mirroring what is on the monitor on the TV). If you want to get away from changing which device, TV or monitor, is the primary device, you can disconnect your monitor from your computer and only have the TV connected when booting and it will become the primary/only display.

Have fun and good luck! :clap: :attn:

I bought a 25' s-video cable on e-bay for $5 and connected to my tv with my ti4600. The result was poor and not really worth the effort.

most TVs svideo is your best option, older tvs have to make do with composite which is normally done through and svideo->composite adapter as most video cards have svideo

If you have an HD TV with composite in ATI makes VGA->component and DVI-> componenta adapters

The best option is if you happen to have really new HD TV than some HD TVs have DVI in (wish my TV had this but it doesnt)

My cards didnt come with S-video to composite adapters. Only the ATI ones did and they arnt exactly s-video outputs so I cant use them on Nvidia cards.

When I worked at the school I used to use the 32" tvs to chat to other people. HAD to use them to let students show off projects. It was acceptable on a large enough screen but I wouldnt really use it for anything but movies (which it excelled at). Best way it a cheap PCI card from ebay with S-vid output or get a newer AGP/PCI-E card with S-vid.

I didnt know you could go up any higher than 640x480. Whenever I tried the tv would flicker. Does that ONLY apply to HD-Tvs?

JT

Its really not practical. Ive done once before and I couldnt make out the text, there was also somewhat of a overscan on the tv, cutting words and icons off.

The only time I use it is like at lanparties, where I put the itunes visulations on it, so it will go with the music. It looks pretty sweet

Back