• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't boot Windows after install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

electrorcamd

I'm trying to install Windows on one of my backup computers, but I'm not having any luck. When I was trying 98SE, it would freeze occasionally before I started the install (using 98lite). I finally got it to install, but then when it rebooted, it came up with the "Invalid System Disk, replace disk..." error that you get when you leave a non bootable floppy in the drive. I didn't have a floppy in the drive at all. I rebooted a few times and it never worked.

I then decided to try Server 2003 SP1. When it got the partition screen, it listed my C drive (the one I just tried installing 98 on) as unknown partition type, said it was unreadable and would need to be reformatted for setup to continue. I let it reformat with FAT32, then formatted the D drive with NTFS. I let it install, and after the initial file copying, it wouldn't boot. It restarted, then came up with "Missing operating system."

I have tried two different hard drives, both with very similar results. I have been trying to get this setup for a couple of weeks now; the only way it will boot is from a cd or floppy.

Does anybody have any ideas?
Thanks

The system is a Shuttle AN35N Ultra, Sempron 2200+ @ 1908 (213x9, I have tried installing @ stock as well), 256MB PC2700 RAM, and have tried a Maxtor 40GB hdd and a Seagate 80GB hdd, both IDE. It all used to work fine.

I have an install of 98SE that I can't boot on a C partition (FAT32), and a partial install of 03 Server on the D partition (NTFS). The first is roughly 20GB, the second is about 18GB.

Edit:
I tried installing Server 2003 SP1 on a single partition, after wiping the 98 partition, and it still came up with "Error loading operating system."

Last edited:
electrorcamd said:
Edit:
I tried installing Server 2003 SP1 on a single partition, after wiping the 98 partition, and it still came up with "Error loading operating system."

This is what I was going to suggest also, delete all partitions and boot with the Windows Server 2003 cd in the drive and let it partition again, then install. Since you already did that I don't know what else to tell you, sorry.

To me it sounds like it is still finding a partition with a bad install, hence "error loading os" message.

If you are familiar with Fdisk maybe give that a try, it can delete partitions and format a drive, plus it gives you the option to view the drive making sure you have no partitions you are unaware of. Maybe try googling for Fdisk. Or you could download the software from the drive manufacturer and try to partition and format that way.

Wish I could be of more help, sorry.

I finally got it working. I Googled for it, and found a site where someone was having similar problems.
I ended up doing a quick low level format with PowerMax, then repartitioning into 2 partitions with fdisk off of the 98 bootdisk, then setting everything up.
Thanks for the help.

Back