• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Memory Time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
darksparkz said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146578

Is much better for onyl about $10 more from what you picked.

The Crucial Ballistix is currently one of the best 2x1GB OCing ram, people have gotten over 280fsb with only 3.0v

He owns an ASUS A8V Deluxe. The A8V is voltage limited to 2.8V and a DDR Booster will not work consistently. He will have to volt-mod the board, possibly bypassing or replacing the Voltage regulators.

With the A8V, I would not pick any RAM which requires more than 2.8V. Bear in mind that TCCD is ruled out as well. The VIA K8T800 Pro chipset does not like TCCD.

More information on the quires, compatibility issues and components to choose from, can be found here:-
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=332591

Good Luck!

:beer:

S-N

Well, I hope you realize that you knew better than burn your money on a wasteful upgrade. :)

Why do you need 2Gb of RAM. If you are doing image editing stuff, this is the wrong board/CPU/Platform. If it is for gaming, 1Gb should suffice.

I really want 4GB of ram. Battlefield 2 runs way better on 2GB then on 1 GB I run now. I also do web design on the side so multiple programs are always running. Also I would like to get into video editing, so more is better. But games are my top priority.

For Multi-media/multitasking stuff, I'd recommend a dual core X2.If you are going to get 2Gb of the Crucial stuff, you will be voltage limited. The reason I'm advising you against an upgrade is because you will need a new platform to justify it.

This is my argument:

• You want highly overclockable 2Gb sets----> Of the good ones available, > 2.8V seems to be the norm, which your board can't provide.

You intend to do heavy multitasking-----> You will be better off with an X2

High HTT can be achieved if you change your MoBo. You could try the DFI S939 AGP, which will give you a pletora of options, but that entails a steep learning curve. You may need to get a new 24 pin PSU.

Would you like to swap out your MoBo, CPU and your RAM for best performance? Heck, might as well take off the video card and move to PCI-E. You basically have a new system!

You can get the Crucial if you are willing to let it underperform, in which case generic 2Gb sets would more than suffice.

What say you? :)

Back