• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2 Asus Probe will not minimize on startup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fritzman

Clean install on my new board... everything going great.

Out of the blue last week (about 6 weeks into the new install) every startup, PC Probe II (the one that comes on the CD) starts up okay, but will not minimize!

Seems I have to kill it off, then once I restart it from the menu... it works fine.

Tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but problem persists straight from first reboot.

Did a search and couldn't see anything, so hoping someone can suggest something.

Thanks in advance

B

fritzman said:
Clean install on my new board... everything going great.

Out of the blue last week (about 6 weeks into the new install) every startup, PC Probe II (the one that comes on the CD) starts up okay, but will not minimize!

Seems I have to kill it off, then once I restart it from the menu... it works fine.

Tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but problem persists straight from first reboot.

Did a search and couldn't see anything, so hoping someone can suggest something.

Thanks in advance

B

It seems to be working fine for me w/ an 820d. Does it still do it on stock bios settings (no o/c)?

Unsure... haven't tested that, but will.

I'm running two W/D 250Gb SATAII Raid series drives in a RAID0 array, but I wouldn't have thought that would have been a factor.

B

fritzman said:
Unsure... haven't tested that, but will.

I'm running two W/D 250Gb SATAII Raid series drives in a RAID0 array, but I wouldn't have thought that would have been a factor.

B

I don't think so either. I'm running two 74Gb Raptors in RAID0. I'm still burning this rig in but I have it at 250fsb and no problems so far. What bios ver. are you running?

Answering from my lappy, but I think it's 219? The one that everyone says to use anyways.. I've actually backed off a bit to 286fsb... think the mem was getting a bit pushed or cpu a bit hot... need to do some testing with lower mem ratio and see if she passes Prime like that.

Very happy with the drives though.. did the Sandra test on them this arvo and they did well. Can't remember the number, but I was impressed at the time.

Just need to get this probe sorted tho.

fritzman said:
Answering from my lappy, but I think it's 219? The one that everyone says to use anyways.. I've actually backed off a bit to 286fsb... think the mem was getting a bit pushed or cpu a bit hot... need to do some testing with lower mem ratio and see if she passes Prime like that.

Very happy with the drives though.. did the Sandra test on them this arvo and they did well. Can't remember the number, but I was impressed at the time.

Just need to get this probe sorted tho.

219 or 519? And what kind of cooling?

Use 0519, it's the best\latest bios for P5WD2 Premium. Send me a PM with an email and I'll send it to ya if you need it. As far as PC Probe II not minimizing, all I can say is that in the settings is it set to stay on top? When you hit the minimize(-) what happens?

I checked mine and I have all options clicked on under the preferences section. Are you saying that the Probe II control panel doesn't minimize or the actual temp/rpm gauges don't? My control panel minimizes but the guages stay open.

Thanks guys... I have it set so when I start the PC, Probe starts, and leaves the panel open on the extreme rhs of screen, and the control panel is meant to minimize all by itself. It has stopped minimizing all by itself, and when I hit minimize... nothing happens. I hit the 'X' and kill it off okay, and then restart Probe, and have to manually minimize, and it works fine.

e-mail address coming thanks RangerXLT8

Mjgent... Thanks... been waiting a while for one, but they FINALLY turned up in NZ at USA prices virtually, so I couldn't resist any longer. Dropped my XP-90 temps by between 5 & 10 degrees depending on what I am doing. Under full load, it is an easy 7 degrees lower (with AS5)

fritzman said:
Thanks guys... I have it set so when I start the PC, Probe starts, and leaves the panel open on the extreme rhs of screen, and the control panel is meant to minimize all by itself. It has stopped minimizing all by itself, and when I hit minimize... nothing happens. I hit the 'X' and kill it off okay, and then restart Probe, and have to manually minimize, and it works fine.

e-mail address coming thanks RangerXLT8

Mjgent... Thanks... been waiting a while for one, but they FINALLY turned up in NZ at USA prices virtually, so I couldn't resist any longer. Dropped my XP-90 temps by between 5 & 10 degrees depending on what I am doing. Under full load, it is an easy 7 degrees lower (with AS5)

Yeah, I'd try the 0519 bios. From the info you stated I can't tell what would be causing that. And you even reinstalled it. You could always d/l a fresh copy from Asus website. I wonder if it's order of starting during bootup with other programs is causing a problem. Something might not be letting it load properly. :shrug:

I'm just using the sp-120 for now and then I'm going to put the Storm G5/ RD-30 big stuff :) on and crank up the fsb.

Cheers guys

Have got the 519 BIOS, so will try that later on after lunch and some gardening

Re the Probe... got me stumped... I thought uninstalling it and reinstalling it would fix it, but to no avail.

Might be off to Asus, and see what they have to say (next year lol)

B

fritzman said:
Cheers guys

Re the Probe... got me stumped... I thought uninstalling it and reinstalling it would fix it, but to no avail.

B

No problem. Let us know how it goes.

fritzman said:
Cheers guys

B

ha good luck with Asus Tech support my friend, they will have someone contact you within 48 hours.........

Okay...

Still no change in the probe, but this offtopic stuff is helpful.

Loaded the newer 519 BIOS and set it up to 295fsb with mem @ 369 (according to cpuz) and she got as far as Test 4 of 6500 of M12451841 using 640FFT after 1hr 58mins.

Most of the time she was at 55 degrees under load (only one instance of Prime running... I've forgotten how to do two... been so long), so I've backed her off to 285 again and all is fine.

I must have a play with the memory settings to see if it is the mem (I suspect so) that is holding her back. I am using 2 x 512 sticks of Crucial Ballistic that have

CM64M6416U26AD2F
3VXCDHF1
Batch CL1114Q.G6
PN 47077

on the stickers.

I was told they were 667, but I haven't figured out all the numbers with DDR2 yet.

B

fritzman said:
Okay...

Still no change in the probe, but this offtopic stuff is helpful.

Loaded the newer 519 BIOS and set it up to 295fsb with mem @ 369 (according to cpuz) and she got as far as Test 4 of 6500 of M12451841 using 640FFT after 1hr 58mins.

Most of the time she was at 55 degrees under load (only one instance of Prime running... I've forgotten how to do two... been so long), so I've backed her off to 285 again and all is fine.

I must have a play with the memory settings to see if it is the mem (I suspect so) that is holding her back. I am using 2 x 512 sticks of Crucial Ballistic that have

CM64M6416U26AD2F
3VXCDHF1
Batch CL1114Q.G6
PN 47077

on the stickers.

I was told they were 667, but I haven't figured out all the numbers with DDR2 yet.

B

To run two instances of Prime95 you need to run from two different folders and set "affinity" to 0 on one and 1 on the other as I recall.

mjgent said:
To run two instances of Prime95 you need to run from two different folders and set "affinity" to 0 on one and 1 on the other as I recall.

You just need to install it into 2 different folders then run em. I have it installed in 2 folders then just have shortcuts to Prime95_1 & Prime95_2 on my desktop.

Back