• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shuttle server?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1cem4n

EDIT: for those who don't feel like reading through that, here's the list:

-Shuttle SD31-P1(pentium D capable SFF)
-2x 500gb hard drives(probably hitachi)
-Pentium D 820 2.8ghz Dual core
-4gb of OCZ DDR2 RAM(PC2-4200)
-DVD-Burner
-17' LCD

I'm looking to make a server and after lots of thought, a shuttle would fit the bill perfectly, my mom would find it cute so she would pay for most of it and then it's a very capable machine. I will be getting the Shuttle Barebones SD31-P1 and a Pentium D 820 2.8ghz dual core. I will probably get 4gb of RAM(2x2gb) and 2x 500gb SATA HD(not sure which manufacturer but whoever is cheapest), and probably a cheapo videocard. I will also have DVD-Burner from Toshiba. Now, i need a monitor(probably a 17inch LCD) but I already have the mouse and keyboard. My parents will be using this computer the most and being a server, it will probably be on 24/7. What do you guys think?

-1cem4n

File server? Print server? Game server? Seems awfully powerful for a server.

For most home servers I'd think about a cheap i915 setup with onboard video, a Celeron D (something like a 331), and whatever else you want in it.

I'm guessing your parents won't be gaming on it.

i will probably use it as a file server, print server, AND a game server. i will most likely run a CS:S server, host files and the such, and have a printer connected to it. whole reason i have the dual core.

-1cem4n

You're going to setup dual processors to run games and then the second processor is for print jobs and downloading files?

You're not going to listen to anyone else anyways, but it seems like a total waste, can you fit 2 HDDs and an optical drive in to one of those? The monitor is massive overkill too.

For max players (32) they recommend 2GB of memory and a 2.4ghz processor. Minimum 256MB and 800mhz. IIRC most maps are limited to 20 spawn points?

File sharing doesn't require and CPU time. Printing can - especially if you are using a "dumb" inkjet.

I just think that is a lot of heat for a shuttle case. If you don't think a Celeron would do it at least consider a 630.

I think the screen is because his parents will be using it.

my parents don't have the best vision so the 17 inch lcd would be "for them". they get really irritated by CRTs. Yes, you can fit THREE hds inside that shuttle which rocks. I have an inkjet but i don't get it when you say "dumb inkjet" so okay. I will take a look at the 630.

-1cem4n

A "dumb" inkjet relies on the host computer to do all the job processing. "Smart" inkjets have their own processor and memory, and tend to be more expensive.

JCLW said:
A "dumb" inkjet relies on the host computer to do all the job processing. "Smart" inkjets have their own processor and memory, and tend to be more expensive.
Though a laser is alot better if you dont need the color. I finally went with a laser and has like 32mb's memory. I dont do alot of printing, but its nice when you do have to print.(If using that computer)
The speed is alot faster too, though I am sure there are fast inkjets.

I didn't realize the parents would be using it as home computer, I thought you meant just administrative tasks.

Dual processors is a waste either way. If you were going to do that put the duals in your rig and make your rig the server.

All you really need is a fairly small/compact case that is nice to look at (I really like the SilverStone SST-SG01-B, sweet!

Earlier this year, I did setup a "server" for my home though - mainly for lots of storage that is primarily used for backing up my valuable data from other machines. It also runs a few programs 24/7, serving up multimedia content.

I went with an Asus P4P800-MX and P4 3GHz, basic 80Gb HD for WinXP, four 300Gb IDE drives on an Adaptec 2400A in a RAID-5 setup that gave me 850Gb for storage/backups. Runs backups on a scheduler nightly, works great! You really don't need dual core, or anything more than onboard video/sound etc. for something like this.

JCLW said:
For max players (32) they recommend 2GB of memory and a 2.4ghz processor. Minimum 256MB and 800mhz. IIRC most maps are limited to 20 spawn points?

I doubt he has the bandwidth to run 32 players.

i have COMCAST yay. totally blows during "peak hours" but it's pretty much the fastest when it is working correctly. I think i will use this for practicing with my friends so probably no more than 15 max.

-1cem4n

Back