• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No C Drive, Kinda funny

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adnonimape

Registered
I have no C: Drive...LOL. Windows didnt give me one, I think its funny.

No, I didnt change the drive letter either..lol...when I installed windows, thats how it happened. Lol. :p

noc8in.jpg

Yeah, most software will detect my D: drive, but others wont..so i have to manually select it...

haha, never happened to me before this time..lol

I have seen it happen when you have a second drive on, which is already the c, when you are installing windows and then remove the second drive.

It can actually create a problem if you have an inflexible installer program that will only install on the c drive.

i've had this problem before, and quite often believe it or not. I just end up disconnecting the power plugs to my extra optical and hard drive.... and just leave it my plain ol' dvd and OS drive. That 99% of the time fixes it, and after install, i hook back up the other 2 drives, and voila... i can set them to whatever drive letter i want

use partition magic / windows disk management to change the drive letter back to C.

of course, make sure all shortcuts point to right app's location

Yah changing shortcuts can be a problem. I used to not run the C: drive as security thing... thinking most malware writers would not be smart enough to use %system% of %programs% to install stuff wherever the defualt location is.

But

IT does not matter I have only been malwared once since learning about it (over 2 years ago since I had any kind of infection). Before that.. .I dont remember if I was ever infected or not

if you use partition magic, changing shortcuts is not really an issue because the software will scan and correct the problem for you automatically.

i have 2 computers: offline and online. I do most of my work on offline one and never have to worry about malware or virus.

I have run for years using Windows 2000 with two partitions, E: and F:.

I never had a problem installing to the hard disk due to using a non-C: drive for OS install drive.

I have however when I have used the B: drive for the floppy.

I had this happen a few times installing windows for people who have those USB Media card readers. For some reason, it will detect them first before the hard drive. Since then, I just hook up a cd-rom and the hard drive and install windows, then hook the other stuff up later. :)

Back