• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IE 6 Impossible to get rid of.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adnonimape

Registered
Ok,

I followed Microsoft Guide on how to remove IE.

And, I open my computer, type in http://google.com and hit enter, and the page opens in IE6

Although I have followed their instructions to remove it....

The decision in US v. Microsoft does not require Microsoft to remove IE6 from the system (or even to make it removable), it simply requires Microsoft to make the API documentation that allows IE6 to be irrevocably integrated publicly available.

That's why you have Program Access and Defaults control panel.

OK, before I post what I'm about to say, DO NOT turn this into a Firefox, IE, or "Add your browser of choice here ______" thread. I'm not doing it, and won't get involved with it.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way. I would not remove IE. Even if you despise M$ and want to beat them with a shoe, IE is still the Internet standard. The other browsers do seem to be popular, but they have issues alot of times. On some websites you must run IE or they will not display properly.

Also, removing IE will remove critical OS files, and will cause OS instability, and all kinds of weird stuff rto happen. The time will also come when you will really need IE, and then it won't be there.

I highly recommend doing a repair install of Windows. You will then have to reload all drivers, and will more than likely have to relaod games and their profiles, along with other software that has profiles associated with it such as Riva Tuner for example.

That sounds like alot to do, but it's really not that bad. You don't havw to reloiad all software at once, just do it when you need it. On the drivers though, you will have to do those once windows has completed the repair install. With a fast system it shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes...probably faster unless there are corrupted files in there.

If you followed Microsoft's instructions, I can almost gurarntee that you haven't uninstalled IE. IE (or rather, Explorer) is critical to the OS, and removing it isn't somthing you "just do" (as can be seen by all the posts above :D). I highly doubt Microsoft would have instructions on actually removing IE given the massive problems doing so will cause.

What the instructions you read likely did were just remove the link to IE from the start menu (this is what every uninstall guide I've read does). It's probably the same process used for "uninstalling" Outlook Express, or a handful of other integrated applications. Of course, if you could provide a link to the guide you followed we could be positive.

JigPu

3DFlyer said:
Also, removing IE will remove critical OS files, and will cause OS instability, and all kinds of weird stuff rto happen. The time will also come when you will really need IE, and then it won't be there.

For people that favor open source Win32 software, Windows will still be functional with IE removed! For most applications, the worst that will occur is that you can't open the help file for the application.

Back