• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connection problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nickds7

I'm trying to connect a laptop through a wired connection, the laptop detects the connection but It wont let me renew the ip address or access the internet.

There isnt anything wrong with the connection, I can connect it to my desktop and immediatly get online. I've tried switching the connection from wireless to wired.

I'm useing a cable modem, and the wireless works fine. Any ideas?

Edit: the desktop is windows xp pro and the notebook is windows xp home.

Ope IE and go to tools internet options. Select LAN settings and check the box that says Automatically detect settings..

Not sure if you need to restart. Reloading windows should be good enough (log off and on)

It sounds like your machine is trying to give wireless dominance over the ethernet connection. try disabling the wireless network connection in control panel and see if htat helps :)

Tried both of those and still no luck :bang head It says it connect to the server or whatever to retreive a new ip when i ipconfig release/renew

Nickds7 said:
Tried both of those and still no luck :bang head It says it connect to the server or whatever to retreive a new ip when i ipconfig release/renew

To get online set a static IP withthe DNS and gateway IPs being that of the router.

To diagnose the issue open a DOS box and type ipconfig /all if you are getting a 169.x.x.x IP addy its cause it aint connecting. You can try pinging the router though and see if the connection itself is bad or whether its the software.

You can always try running the home networking wizard too :S

Still nothing. I'm trying to connect directly to the modem. I've set wired to be the highest priority over wireless and i've disabled wireless. Still nothing.

firewall is off.. its interesting because at my girlfriends parents house she has comcast (same as me) and it will work wired and wireless. Its my girlfriends laptop but since she moved out, she only has internet at my house so im trying to get her setup.. strangly it doesnt want to work

Back