• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I won't order from Monarch again.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

1Time

They advertised a 146 Opteron as being IN STOCK so I ordered it.

Two days later I had not been notifed of it being shipped so I contacted them only to find out it now was NOT IN STOCK - BACKORDERED.

I cancelled my order. I have no tolerance for this type of deception, the ole' "bait and switch". They advertised one thing (an in stock 146 Opteron ready for shipment) and then gambled I would stick around to buy something else that would profit them and at my expense (a backordered 146 Opteron).

And, not only will I not order from Monarch again, I will warn others not to do so as well.

Go figure... I ordered mine early Monday morning and then over 2 days later they tell me it's out of stock. What's up with that?

how do you figure they profit from having you pre-order a cpu?

all the complaints i've seen about monarch have been with their computer systems and incorrectly listing stock, and not notifiying customers when the statis has changed. something to keep in mind if you're ever considering ordering from them.

on a different note, i'm glad you're so happy with our county and Jesus but religious views aren't allowed to be expressed at ocforums. it's nothing personal, nothing anti-religion or against your beliefs, it's just a subject that isn't supposed to be here.

of course my interpretation is that your sig is against the rules, i could be wrong it's up to a mod to make the call.

I have gone through the same thing with SVC. If you are not sure, just call up and they should be able to tell you if they have said item in stock and you may even be able to place a phone order.

crimedog,

The profit motive behind using a "bait and switch" really isn't that hard to grasp and so is the difference between a pre-order and advertising something as being in stock when it is not. I will leave the later up to you to figure out or someone else to explain.

Those using the bait and switch will profit when the customer decides to wait for the item to be in stock. Plus, during this waiting period, the customer is much more likely to make an additional purchase, an additional potential profit for the retailer. And all of this profit made without even having the product in stock, which if it were in stock would cost the retailer.

However, if the customer cancels the order, the customer potentially loses big while the retailer potentially loses virtually nothing.

What the retailer is is counting on is that the masses won't "catch on" to their deceptive practices. This is where this forum and resellerratings can even the odds.

I hope you make peace with my sig or else go ahead and report it to a mod. I've had it for a few years now. Perhaps its time I get a new one. Rules are rules, if that's what they are.

1Time said:
What the retailer is is counting on is that the masses won't "catch on" to their deceptive practices. This is where this forum and resellerratings can even the odds.

I can understand on many cases where that would be true, but you have to consider in many things. Is there any fine print to this? Do they openly state that your item might take longer if its pre-order or backordered? Sometimes they do have an item in stock, and many people purchase, but before the system updates, they sell too many. It happens.

Midnight Dream said:
It happens.

Of course retailers make mistakes and that must be taken into account. However, nothing in their fine print or otherwise excused Monarch's error yet they did not admit to making any error and did not offer an apology. I didn't press the issue and just left it at "then please cancel my order".

I've dealt with businesses like this before. Their policy basically is to always deny they ever did anything wrong, make excuses and lie when necessary whether by omission or by comission. These are the low of the low in my book and Monarch has given me every reason to believe they are right there amongst them. My next stop is resellerratings. `

Last edited:
1Time said:
Of course retailers make mistakes and that must be taken into account. However, nothing in their fine print or otherwise excused Monarch's error yet they did not admit to making any error and did not offer an apology. I didn't press the issue and just left it at "then please cancel my order".

I've dealt with businesses like this before. Their policy basically is to always deny they ever did anything wrong, make excuses and lie when necessary whether by omission or by comission. These are the low of the low in my book and Monarch has given me every reason to believe they are right there amongst them. My next stop is resellerratings. `

really... sounds like you didnt read any of there policies, so im going to sink your boat. i suggest you read all of their policies, but most people tend not to(dont blame ya). i read them a while ago and i recall somewhere in there policy that they cant be held accountable for such things as typographical errors etc etc which also include stock errors. Policies are designed to protect their bussiness, so you basically cant take away their way to earn a living/reselling

Also "bait and switch" its like for local retailers *cough fry's cough* so i dont see where your logic of a bait and switch is applicable when its a online store (you have to find the site first? :rolleyes: )

BLcK said:
really... sounds like you didnt read any of there policies, so im going to sink your boat. i suggest you read all of their policies, but most people tend not to(dont blame ya). i read them a while ago and i recall somewhere in there policy that they cant be held accountable for such things as typographical errors etc etc which also include stock errors. Policies are designed to protect their bussiness, so you basically cant take away their way to earn a living/reselling

Also "bait and switch" its like for local retailers *cough fry's cough* so i dont see where your logic of a bait and switch is applicable when its a online store (you have to find the site first? :rolleyes: )

I think his real beef with them is that 2 days after they supposedly had it in stock it hadn't shipped yet. Upon calling them he found out it was on backorder...No call, no email...That is unacceptable.

Nexus Realized said:
I think his real beef with them is that 2 days after they supposedly had it in stock it hadn't shipped yet. Upon calling them he found out it was on backorder...No call, no email...That is unacceptable.

I can understand the basis of him being upset about there not being a call or email, but he still wants to put up something about false advertisement. The fact of the matter was, they did not make an error on the real technicality. You said you made an order early monday morning. I made my order 9 AM EST monday morning. It showed in stock, and it was.

I would say it was common courtesy to notify a customer if an item is not in stock. I like to know ;). It's also the reason Ebuyer.com will never get another penny out of me, after taking 4 weeks to figure out my dvdrw wasn't actually in stock and picked like they thought it was.

Back