• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Windows Server 2003 good for games?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sirjinx1974

Is 2003 like Windows 2000, great workhorse, but crap when it comes to gaming. ? I know 2003 is very stable and has a good kernal, but I want to know if it would be good at playin any games.

I would have to disagree with your statement. When I was comparing XP and 2K, I bought 2K because several reviews and the guy at the store said it was better for gaming, that XP had more incompatibilities.

I don't have any experience with 2003, but 2K does great with gaming. I have yet to find a single windows game it will not play perfectly.

My guess is that either XP or 2K3 will play whichever games you want just fine.

2k3 is NOT a desktop OS, and has to be tweaked one heck of a lot to get it to the point of desktop OS. That, and there are quite a few programs that will simply not work on the OS (virus scanners etc), because it requires server versions of these programs.

You could save yourself all the trouble and just install a copy of Win2k or WinXP and not have to go through all the trouble of tweaking and configuring your OS so you can play a few games.

Oni said:
2k3 is NOT a desktop OS, and has to be tweaked one heck of a lot to get it to the point of desktop OS. That, and there are quite a few programs that will simply not work on the OS (virus scanners etc), because it requires server versions of these programs.

You could save yourself all the trouble and just install a copy of Win2k or WinXP and not have to go through all the trouble of tweaking and configuring your OS so you can play a few games.

oni, as practically always ;), is right. basically there are tons of settings in windows that are optimized for server processes. they give priority to running server type applications and services. if you really have the cash to blow on win2k3 and your heart is set on it, there are many guides for optimizing windows 2003 to "become" a workstation. i am pretty sure that a majority of games will run on win2k3, however, some of the install programs may not function properly...

to be on the safe side, i would recommend win2k or winxp. they will run all of the same games since they are, at the core, nearly identical operating systems when stripped of the visual effects.

Back