• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question on memeory timing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cruzmisl

Registered
Hi All,
New to this so please bear with me. I have an ASUS A8N-SLI premium board with OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit.

The timing of the memory is listed as 2-2-2-5 and the CAS latency is listed as 2.0 but CPU-Z shows it different. How exactly do I change it and do I want to change it to reflect the manufacturers timings?

Thanks,
J.

memory.JPG

They should run at their advertised timings. Sometimes mobos dont read the SPD settings correctly. Go into your BIOS, assuming you have an OC friendly mobo, and set the timings/voltage to the manufacturers advertised settings. Then run a few stability testing programs, like memtest and Prime95. If they pass, you are good. If not, start playing with settings to see what is stable.

Awesome thanks. My Mobo is friendly but have a question on the settings. Here is what my Bios shows.

Max Memclock (Mhz) [auto]
1T/2T Memory timing [auto]
CAS# latency (Tcl) [auto]
RAS# to CAS# DELAY (Trcd) [auto]
Min RAS# active time (Tras) [auto]
Row precharge time (Trp) [auto]
Row cycle time (Trc) [auto]
Row refresh cycle time (trfc) [auto]
Write recovery time (Twr) [auto]
read-to-write delay (Trwt) [auto]

While I could guess at what the values should be I'd rather not chance it. Can anyone offer suggestions as to what the vlaues should be?

Here is a link to my memory modules if needed.

Thanks again,
J.

Assuming you want to set it to stock settings, use this:
Max Memclock (Mhz) - DDR400
1T/2T Memory timing - 1T
CAS# latency (Tcl) - 2
RAS# to CAS# DELAY (Trcd) - 2
Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 5
Row precharge time (Trp) - 2
Row cycle time (Trc) - 10 works
Row refresh cycle time (trfc) - 12 works
Write recovery time (Twr) - 2
read-to-write delay (Trwt) - 2

your ram happens to be particularly good at overclocking, you can most likely lower your Trc down to 7, and your Trfc to 11, maybe 10. Since you have such good ram it would be a shame to run it at stock MHZ. According to that link you provided it should be stable at 2-2-2-5 @ DDR433. I see someone claiming it to be able to run at DDR530 @ 2-3-3-5 which seems pretty hard to believe that it will hit 265mhz @ cas 2, but OCZ ram is high quality. In terms of speed, lower is better in all cases. 2-2-2-5 being the fastest and 3-4-4-8 being the slowest(most of the time). If you want to run it at that high MHZ, you will likely need to relax the timings to something like, 2-3-3-5, maybe increase the Ras active (2-3-3-7) or maybe even drop down to CAS 2.5 (2.5-3-3-5) or 2.5-3-3-7.

Last edited:
Back