• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reinstalling IBM installed XP only (how)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iqwertyi

My friend has a R40 laptop from IBM. She got it from school and has all these softwares installed including Windows XP and Office XP. But besides these, there's a bunch of other softwares and settings pre-installed/pre-selected.

She's now out of school and just want to have Windows XP and Office XP and nothing else. How do I do that?

I tried to do the IBM reinstall thing from the hard drive, but of course it reset's the laptop back with all the softwares including the domain for the school.

Is there any way to do what I'm trying to do?

I was thinking of using my copy of XP but use her key (it was on the bottom of the unit) and reformat the computer.

I don't think I'm doing anything agains the MS policy. She bought the laptop and now just want to strip it to the bone so it runs better.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I was thinking of using my copy of XP but use her key (it was on the bottom of the unit) and reformat the computer.
Probably wouldn't work :( and probably a violation of the EULA.

It is possible to dike the stuff out that you don't want, just do the IBM reinstall thing, and then uninstall (through the Control Panel) the things you don't want. Then you could use a Registry maintenance program to ensure all vestiges of the uninstalled programs are removed.

You can also configure XP to not be part of a domain. I do believe it's under the System Panel, on the Computer Name Tab.

Good luck.

Back