• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I copy song from Ipod to Itunes?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC/ingmaddog

I just recently reformatted and lost all my songs on my computer. So now I only have the songs I had on my Ipod. But I can't copy anything to the Ipod without losing all the songs I already have on it. There must be someway I can copy the songs from my Ipod to Itunes, I just haven't figured it out yet, lol. Any ideas?

you dont need any software or programs. i hate installing crap that i will only use once. if i can do it without software, i'll always choose that option.

its just a simple matter of copying the music folders on the ipod to your harddrive, unhiding them, changing a setting in itunes, and then adding the files to the library, and then deleting the original copies. heres my more detailed explanation from ilounge.com

zip22 said:
its not made to do this.

if you want to do it, heres how (i go through every single step since i don't know your level of experience):

-open My Computer >Tools > Folder Options... > View (tab at the top), under Hidden files and folders, change it to "Show hidden files and folders". click ok

-double click on the ipod drive, open iPod_Control. right click on the Music folder, select Copy (if you look at the music folder, it has a few folders named F00.... in side. in those folders are your music files in a somewhat random fashion (i think) with random filenames. you could just copy them from here, but the way i'm describing will be much easier and cleaner)

-Paste the music folder somewhere on your hard drive (on your desktop is fine)

-once it is done copying the folder, right click on the folder (the copy on your hard drive). Properties > Attributes, uncheck Hidden

-when you click Apply, it asks if you want to do just the folder, or the folder and all subfiles and folders. choose to do all of it. click ok

-open up iTunes. Edit > Preferences... > Advanced (tab) > General (tab) check "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library". click ok.

-File > Add Folder to Library...

-find the Music folder you brought over from the ipod, and add the whole thing to the library.

-since you had itunes copy the files, you can delete the Music folder that is on your desktop. also, itunes will have organized and re-named all the files for you. you can go back and undo the "view hidden files" and "copy to library" options in my computer and itunes if you want.

and to answer your question of "why", apple is in bed with record companies to keep itunes running. they don't want to make it easy to copy the music files from one computer to another.

obviously coming from ilounge, i wrote it as straightforward as i could. it seems long, but its really pretty simple.

Last edited:
or just use the search feature in windows...

Tell it to search your ipod only:
then tell it to search in hidden folders
sort by size (now all your music files are at the top)
then copy your music and paste it where ever

i would say thats just as hard as my version. and if hes planning on using itunes, my version just takes it all the way to a full library with everything organized. and properly named. if you read through mine its really just

-enable viewing hidden files
-copy the main 'music' folder to your hd and change it from hidden to not hidden
-set itunes to copy music to your library
-add the folder to your library
-delete the folder

zip22 said:
you dont need any software or programs. i hate installing crap that i will only use once. if i can do it without software, i'll always choose that option.

its just a simple matter of copying the music folders on the ipod to your harddrive, unhiding them, changing a setting in itunes, and then adding the files to the library, and then deleting the original copies. heres my more detailed explanation from ilounge.com

obviously coming from ilounge, i wrote it as straightforward as i could. it seems long, but its really pretty simple.

Thanks man. That really helped me. I appreciate it. Cuz I wanted to copy some new songs that I got from my friend but couldn't cuz of this problem. Thanks:)

Back