• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new XP install from old HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

My old computer is windows XP pro OEM. I want to use the HD in a new computer without changing any settings. But when I boot into windows the new puter stops as windows is loading and reports an unknown error, which I assume is the fact that the windows XP is OEM and forbidden on the new machine (what a rip off).

I have a new XP pro disk. Can I boot to the CDrom and tell the new CD disk to repair the HD? Will that save my settings and programs or is there some other way to represerve my HD contents in the new computer.

Also, the new puter has an Intel RAID instead of VIA. I would like to add the new RAID driver and remove the old one. Where are the drivers listed for loading so I can edit that setting and substitute drivers.

If you are switching out major components like mobos and in your case your going to another computer all togehter...reinstall windows. XP installations don't like to be taken from PC to PC.

Alchemy1 said:
If you are switching out major components like mobos and in your case your going to another computer all togehter...reinstall windows. XP installations don't like to be taken from PC to PC.

Yeah I noticed that...but I want my new install to be identical to the old one and that would take lots of hours of work to change all the settings and install hundreds of programs. Sooooo there must be an easy way to do this.......hopefully.

Back