• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Ballistix not >235Mhz htt :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sonics

I got 2x512MB crucial ballistix (z402), and I want to overclock my system with it 1:1, no dividers.

Problem is, my best stable setting is at 235HTT, 2.5-2-2-8 2T
With lower settings I might get reboots / hangups.

1T at 230Mhz is also not very stable when gaming.

At 245HTT around that I might get it stable but only with way too high settings. Higher than this I get chance on resetting the bios with jumper after a hangup.

I thought crucial ballistix could do better than this?

What I did:
All MB options on off, like performance / cool n quiet.
HTT multi = 4x, AGP bus = 67Mhz. I tried the mem voltage on both default, and max, 2.85V

I also tested the max. CPU overclock (with very low mem speed), and that went up to 265Mhz stable.

All bios / drivers are updated.

My system:

3000+ venice
msi neo2 platimum
2x512MB crucial ballistix (z402)
GF6800LE
enermax 350W
sblaster live!
1 IDE hdd seagate 200GB
2 SATA maxtor 200GB on SATA 3/4
1 CDwriter. 1 DVDwriter.

Do I just have kinda bad luck, or is it something else?

I was thinking about too little stock thermal compound between the northbridge chip and the fan, but even on HTT multi on 2x I get these hangups on higher settings.

Are those pc3200 or pc4000, because I am getting alot better with my pc4000 by only changing CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS. I haven't messed with any of the alpha timings. One thing you can try is adding more volts. I know the mobo doesn't have BIOS with more than 2.85v, but maybe there is a modded BIOS like the one for my Abit. You could also try the OCZ Booster. I use 3.1v on my sticks to do tight timings and/or high bus speed. You will also need good active cooling, because they get really hot at that voltage.

I didnt find a (modded) bios for the neo2 with more than the 2.85V, and I hoped this was enough to push my memory higher. OCZ booster will be an option yes. Tough I heared several ppl getting more out of the crucial ballistics at 2.8V.

My mem is pc3200

Last edited:
sonics said:
I didnt find a (modded) bios for the neo2 with more than the 2.85V, and I hoped this was enough to push my memory higher. OCZ booster will be an option yes. Tough I heared several ppl getting more out of the crucial ballistics at 2.8V.

My mem is pc3200
It could be that you have too many hardware for 350watts and when Ram is overclocked, not enough amp left for it. try w/ less hardware (one HDD, one cd) and try one mem stick and see if any better.
I read the volt mod section here, and learned that not having enough power and capacitors, prime 95 will draw lots of current @ start and will error. In my case i watched my vdimm drop from 3.05 to 2.95 when running super pi.
If removing some hardware helps then for sure you need stronger PSU.

ochungry said:
It could be that you have too many hardware for 350watts and when Ram is overclocked, not enough amp left for it. try w/ less hardware (one HDD, one cd) and try one mem stick and see if any better.
I read the volt mod section here, and learned that not having enough power and capacitors, prime 95 will draw lots of current @ start and will error. In my case i watched my vdimm drop from 3.05 to 2.95 when running super pi.
If removing some hardware helps then for sure you need stronger PSU.

Enermax should have enough power, but I will try your idea tomorrow.
I put in a small IDE drive I got left, install XP on it. I try with one 512MB dimm 1st; I put in my old GF 4200, and leave out my soundcard and see how things go.

If I understand well you need active mem cooling if you plan to raise vdimm to 3.1V? When using 2.85V it doesnt feel too hot.

Back