• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5LD2 question about BIOS vCore setting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmsandrsn

I was thinking about getting this board. I tried finding the answer to this question by downloading the manual but the question is still unanswered.

I was hoping that someone with this board could go into their BIOS and take a look at this.

If you go into the BIOS and select the "CPU VCore Voltage" the manual shows AUTO and then individual voltages in 0.0125V increments from 1.3V to 1.7V. My question is whether or not the CPU's default voltage is somehow marked or noted?

Or perhaps are the selections layed out like this if we assume your CPU default voltage was 1.3875

Auto
etc
etc
etc

I realize that you can go into Hardware Monitor (or use Asus Probe) section and see reported voltage but that is not always accurate due to voltage droop.

JasonE4 said:
Just wondering, why does it even matter? You can set any vcore that you would like to. Chances are you won't be using auto anyway..

I sometimes will need to change the vCore on a CPU when the motherboard's BIOS does not support changing it. If I know exactly what voltage I'm starting with, then I can look at the Intel data sheets to see what other voltages are possible by connecting VID pins together (I know...LGA775 does not use pins...I guess a better word might be contacts).

problem is that intel lists the vcore as a range. 1.4v is the max default vcore so maybe that is what you would set it to. You could set it lower but you'd have to stress test to ensure the system is stable at those lower voltages. Most are but I won't say all are.

if the board does not offer the vcore option, it will probably use dynamic VID. Also, if the board doesn't allow changes, then you should not think that you have to set it either. That is up to the manufacturer of the board to have it programmed to set properly, since they are denying you that option.

Know Nuttin said:
problem is that intel lists the vcore as a range. 1.4v is the max default vcore so maybe that is what you would set it to.

There is a perfectly good reason for me to want to know the default vCore. Let's say I have a P4 630 in a board that does not support FSB or vCore changes. I can connect 2 CPU pins together (not really pins on LGA775 but I'm sure you know what I mean) using conductive sliver paint to trick the motherboard into thinking that the CPU runs on a 1066 FSB.

But now let's say the system will boot into Windows at 1066 FSB and it seems stable but crashes Prim95 within a few minutes. There's a pretty good chance I can get the system stable if I can increase the voltage. I can't increase the voltage in the BIOS but I can change the default voltage that the motherboard sees by connecting or insulating the VID pins (I try to rely on connecting pins rather than insulating since it is much easier). But if I don't know what the default voltage is to start with them I'd be shooting in the dark. If I can find out what the default voltage is then I can manipulate the vid pins to increase the voltage. For example, if I have a CPU with a default voltage of 1.3v then I can simply connect 2 VID pins together to increase it all the way up to 1.4v.

Back