• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS5 on sticks of RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
vs what?
Thermal tape? Why not, it will help.
How long have you had that tube of AS5 for?
With the amount you will need, its not that badof an idea

My $.02

A good thermal paste with ramsinks wouldn't be a bad idea. However, I thought AS5 was to capacitive for applications such as this. I think ceramique is what you want.

I wouldn't use AS5 as it is slightly capacitive and it would be too easy to get some on the traces of ram chips. Ceramique would work great though, it would be my first choice.

Depends on how the speaders are attached now. If they just have a junk thermal pad on, you may see some improvement. But if they have well-applied thermal paste, you may see little if no improvement.

This may be hard to measure anyway, heat is usually not a limiting factor with ram.

Normally I'm not with the "I'm afraid to use AS5 because it's capacitive" wimps. ;)
But, in this case, since you've got so many surfaces to cover on a single stick of RAM, and applying an extremely thin layer of AS5 to each one of them, I wouldn't suggest it. Just be really redious. And if you applied a little too much on one of the modules, you're screwed.
Ceramique seems better in this case.

But if you feel brave, be my guest. :)

If the ram isnt warranteed you might as well buy some tweakmonster ramsinks and AS epoxy them on. Just dont try and take them off anytime soon :)

Bios24 said:
Depends on how the speaders are attached now. If they just have a junk thermal pad on, you may see some improvement. But if they have well-applied thermal paste, you may see little if no improvement.

This may be hard to measure anyway, heat is usually not a limiting factor with ram.

I don't understand why the thermal pad is junk. On all of my RAM, (I have at least 10 sets of DDR here) the heat most certainly gets from the IC's to the heatsink and I believe that is the purpose of the "junk" thermal pad. Is it not? :shrug:

If you want to attach ram sinks use one of the TIM's with epoxy. Remember that with most companies you loose the warranty if you take off your heatspreader

Back