• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

umm I corrupted my WinXP user account-HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

violineb

The PC wasn't shutting down when it said "saving your settings" so I stopped the power and restarted. Bad idea. My user file is corrupt, despite that the user "Emmanuel" is still there. Just that the reg was wipedc clean or something because all my favorites are gone, and the desktop icons were hidden in some temp folder. And idea how to get my firefox favorites back? My Firefox plugins are all gone too :( But my AnimeNFO seach thing is still there. I don't get it.

first thing I would try is a simple chkdsk and see if that fixes it otherwise you will have to try logging-in under the admin account then go to your main user's profile location (usually documents and settings username) and then move the ntuser.dat file to another location and then try to log-in with the your regular user account. If it works then great if it doesn't your going to have to go looking further in your user profile under the application data folder to get things like your firefox favorites.

violineb said:
The PC wasn't shutting down when it said "saving your settings" so I stopped the power and restarted. Bad idea. My user file is corrupt, despite that the user "Emmanuel" is still there. Just that the reg was wipedc clean or something because all my favorites are gone, and the desktop icons were hidden in some temp folder. And idea how to get my firefox favorites back? My Firefox plugins are all gone too :( But my AnimeNFO seach thing is still there. I don't get it.

Probably was impatient. Because it usually shuts down within 1 minute.

Back