• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WAY to many types of memory/memory chips, need some quick help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

Well, I don't feel like giving myself a headache trying to figure out all the differences between the different types of ram because I know in the end they are all going to work anyway, some just better then others. So I have two questions.

1) Most motherboards, including mine, say that they only support a max speed of PC3200, yet for quite a while now there have been sticks of memory that go far beyond PC3200. The question: will faster sticks of ram work in my motherboard even though it says the max is PC3200? And if so then why?

2) What is YOUR choice for the most overclockable and highest performing brand/type of ram?

The second question is simply to help me decide which brand and type of memory to buy. Whichever type of ram gets the most votes is the type I will buy. The reason I'm doing this is simple. I'm lazy... Anyway, thanks! :p

I forgot to mention that I need 1 Gig sticks since I only have three ram slots on my MB and I would like to max it out.

Last edited:
1) Yes you can use RAM rated at higher than PC3200 in a PC3200 system. PC3200 basically means it has been tested to run stable at a 400 mhz FSB. However, PC4000 for example, has been tested to run at a 500 mhz FSB. This gives no benefit to mainstream computer users, but overclockers sometimes prefer having RAM that is guaranteed to run at higher speeds. (RAM is usually the first part to fail due to overclocking AFAIK)

2) I've heard some good things about OCZ Platinum Revision 2 as well as Mushkin Redline. They both have the same timings AFAIK, but the Mushkin is PC4000 while the OCZ is only PC3200, which also means the Mushkin is more expensive. Just go with whatever you think will work better... :p

If I have to choose one, it'll be the OCZ. You can't beat platinum heatsinks :p

Edit: Just thought I'd add this to make sure nothing was missed, but I would NOT recommend running RAM rated at lower than PC3200 on a processor with a 400 mhz FSB (all newer processors).

Depends on if you want 2x512MB or 2x1GB ram.

For 2x512MB, usually the ones that run good with higher volts run pretty well, like the OCZ Gold VX 2x512MB is really good paired with the DFI at high volts.

For 2x1GB, one would be Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB. It can get up to 290fsb+ with only 2.8v or so.

Your mobo does not put out a lot of vdimm. This makes the high voltage rams a poor choice. Stick with the OCZ Platinum Revision 2 for 2x512. They will give you the best performance of the 2x512 choices. Good luck.

Thanks for you answers, I'm going to wait a little bit longer though so I can get more answers before I make a decision. Oh yeah, and I'm looking for 1 GB sticks because I plan on stuffing my MB with 3 GB of ram over a short period of time. :)

oh yeah, I almost forgot, what is the fastest rated type of DDR ram. Not DDR2, just DDR. Thanks.

and what is the fastest rated type of DDR ram that I can get in 1 Gig sticks. Almost forgot to specify 1 Gig sticks.

darksparkz said:
Depends on if you want 2x512MB or 2x1GB ram.

For 2x512MB, usually the ones that run good with higher volts run pretty well, like the OCZ Gold VX 2x512MB is really good paired with the DFI at high volts.

For 2x1GB, one would be Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB. It can get up to 290fsb+ with only 2.8v or so.

visible real world benefits of 1g total vs 2g total ram? especially in gaming, multitasking, surfin internet, music, etc...

The fastest DDR1 memory so far is DDR600 from Patriot iirc. Its not available in 1GB sticks however as its TCCD based.

Back