• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remove Windows xp services

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCOC

Registered
is there any good tool / software which remove windows xp services.?

free one is even better.

thanks

dicecca112 said:
no, you never do it through MSconfig, it doesn't work right. You do it through services.msc.

Edited:
!! please read I.M.O.G's post below for full understanding !!

1. start button - run - services.msc
2. start button - control panel - administrative tools - services

Last edited:
I also use the Management Console's "Services" page to enable/disable services. 3 clicks: Right-Click on My Computer, and select "Manage" - Services are on the first page... It gives you "dependancies" for other services that rely on the selected service, too!

:cool:

Randyman... said:
I also use the Management Console's "Services" page to enable/disable services. 3 clicks: Right-Click on My Computer, and select "Manage" - Services are on the first page... It gives you "dependancies" for other services that rely on the selected service, too!

:cool:

it is another way to get into it..

same exact thing as these

1. start button - run - services.msc
2. start button - control panel - administrative tools - services

Last edited:
TollhouseFrank said:
do you mean remove as in turn off?

or remove as in totally delete them from your system?

either way we should just say not to delete them .. diabling them is as far as one should go here in my opinion..

Don't use msconfig...as said before. It does different things with them

I disagree with Xtreme Barton ... if you absolutely know you won't be using a service (and you're not just experimenting with disabling certain ones)...then completely removing them is the best option - your best choice for that is to use nLite and create a stripped down XP CD that won't install them to begin with.

telexen said:
Don't use msconfig...as said before. It does different things with them

I disagree with Xtreme Barton ... if you absolutely know you won't be using a service (and you're not just experimenting with disabling certain ones)...then completely removing them is the best option - your best choice for that is to use nLite and create a stripped down XP CD that won't install them to begin with.

can someone please tell me what msconfig does differently...

also the reason i suggest leaving them instead of deleting them is re-installation instances..

Xtreme Barton: Msconfig is a technically inferior method of skinning the cat. It gets it done, but its the incorrect way to administer your system - by managing services through here, the system is placed into "selective startup" mode. Until you disable the message, at every boot you would be warned that the system configuration utility is being used for troubleshooting. The technically correct way to achieve the same end is to go through the service manager itself.

It's like this, through services.msc you can disable a service and still be in normal mode. Through msconfig you can disable a service but you will automatically be put into "selective startup" mode. Services.msc is a permanent system change, msconfig is a temporary system change.

Msconfig serves a purpose, but this is not its intended goal - this is the service managers intent. Msconfig allows you to quickly and temporarily switch between normal mode and a troubleshooting mode to diagnose issues.

Why is that a problem? Because if you are in normal mode, you can switch to selective startup to find the issue, correct it, then switch back to normal mode. If you are already in selective startup, you've reduced the usefulness of one of your troubleshooting tools.

Note that this isn't only an opinion, its technically superior from a support standpoint, and its also the intent of the designers:

If you change any startup setting by using the System Configuration Utility, Windows XP Professional prompts you to return to normal operations the next time you log on. A prompt and the System Configuration Utility appear each time you log on until you restore the original startup settings by clicking Normal Startup under Startup Selection on the General tab. To permanently change a startup setting, use Control Panel, change a Group Policy setting, or uninstall the application that added the service.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_zrdq.asp

Last edited:
I.M.O.G. said:
It's like this, through services.msc you can disable a service and still be in normal mode. Through msconfig you can disable a service but you will automatically be put into "selective startup" mode. Services.msc is a permanent system change, msconfig is a temporary system change.

ahh i see !! thanks for that !!

not trying to be a pain in the but ...

but is selective the same exact thing as normal except what you choose to disable ? is it possible for the service to start up (somehow) if only done through msconfig, instead of actually disabling it ? i mean it only stopping it from starting up with booting right ? not actually permanelty disabling it ..

im gonna correct my post and redo my system that way. just wanna know a little more on it..

Thanks for actually explaining it !!

I.M.O.G you da man !!

Not sure, I would guess that selective startup sets the service to disabled, but it could just set it to manual. In manual, if a call to start the service is made it will start, but it will not launch at startup. Disable some stuff through msconfig and take a look at services.msc when in selective startup mode.

Regardless of how the service is set, it can be started/stopped by using the "net start/stop *service name*" command. To enable or disable a service, you can use the "sc start/stop *service name*". SC.exe interfaces with the services manager, and can do everything services.msc can do.

...BTW, if you actually wanted to delete the service so it doesn't show up, you'll want to use sc.exe from teh command prompt. Open a C prompt and type "sc /?" for details, its pretty straight forward.

I uninstalled 1 program and this program service is still around. I want it to be gone from my computer FOR GOOD.

In the past, I used a free ONE ( service manager or manage or something like that) BUT I could not find it any more.

ah... so you are wanting permanent removal of it?

In that case, a quick regedit will do fine. What is the program? With that, we can help you get to the point in your registry where you delete the key and it is no longer there

Press windows+r type CMD then press enter to get to a command prompt.

At the command prompt, type "sc delete *servicename*" then press enter. Of course, replace *servicename* with the actual name of the service you would like to remove.

This will remove it from the registry without needing to go through regedit... Both work fine, but its probably best to avoid regedit as almost no one actually backs up the registry before making changes in there. This will remove it from your machine for good.

You can download a third party app, but all its going to do is issues this simple command for ya. ;)

Back