• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CTRL+ALT+Delete won't work..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LAbel

Just recently CTRL+ALT+Delete stopped working for me. Instead of bringing up the task manager I get nothing. Any ideas?

jajmon said:
caps lock on by mistake?
Does not matter; CTRL+ALT+DEL is a hardware NMI. It should ALWAYS invoke some sort of response from WinNT series OSes as it is hooked at startup by the logon process.

It is possible (in fact most probable) that you've picked up a virus or had some other damage done to your system through Internet nastiness. Get Spybot, HijackThis and run them, and run your antivirus software with the latest definitions.

I am also gonna say virus/spyware. It has happened to me a few times, and a quick run of adware/spybot, then a scan of norton/avg (all in safe mode), and it fixes the problem.

if you just want to get to task manager try ctrl+shift+escape (I know it works with at least windows 2000 and xp)

Tried all of the virus scanning programs and still no luck. All I managed to find out is that I have no task manager at all (as far as I can tell). I tried the good ol' right-clicking the menu bar and opening the task manager from there but it doesn't do anything.

I was told by someone that this may be a major computer virus and that I have no hope of removing it.. I'm willing to try anything to avoid having to reformat and reinstalling Windows.

My sister had the same thing (sorta) happened to her task manager. Task manager would open, but it wouldn't show you anything within the applications or processes tab. So I couldn't see what kind of odd app or process was causing all of her pop-ups.

To make it worse, I couldn't open regedit or go to any site on the web to download any kind of spyware proggy. I would google "ad-aware". Click on the link to go to their site, and then IE would close. Same for all of the online virus scan I knew. It sucked.

The only thing I could think of to fix it was re-install XP.

The reason I'd like to avoud reformatting my harddrive is because I no longer have the Windows restoration disc. Last January I moved to a new house and I'm thinking the disc got misplaced. SO that simply isn't an option for me.

I don't suppose Microsoft gives replacement discs?

Maybe if you explained the situation to them they could work something out?
Also, you may be able to get one pretty cheap via eBay.

Back