• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Someone Help me with DDR2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

I'm going to be putting a P5W2D Premium/P4 650 system together and I could really use some DDR2 Recommendations. I don't have a clue about DDR2, so I'm reading through posts trying to learn. Could someone give me some info on what type would be best for this setup? What have others had success with? I'll be clocking as high as possible, and I'll be on water. Thanks!!

Know Nuttin said:
I would go for some Corsair PC6400UL

lol, they don't make 6400ul but they do make 5400ul and 8000ul, both of which are very good. unfortuantly, they're extremely overpriced. if you want the best without being ripped off get the mushkin pc2-6400. if you want ram that's plenty fast enough and 1/2 as much, get the pqi turbo pc2-5400.

crimedog said:
lol, they don't make 6400ul but they do make 5400ul and 8000ul, both of which are very good. unfortuantly, they're extremely overpriced. if you want the best without being ripped off get the mushkin pc2-6400. if you want ram that's plenty fast enough and 1/2 as much, get the pqi turbo pc2-5400.

Could you tell me what the number system is? I'm still used to 3200(400mhz) double data ram being 1:1 with an 800mhz FSB. Does DDR 2 still run in dual channel with two sticks? What would be 1:1 with a 6xx series chip? I'm not clear on any of it.

Myhre said:
Could you tell me what the number system is? I'm still used to 3200(400mhz) double data ram being 1:1 with an 800mhz FSB. Does DDR 2 still run in dual channel with two sticks? What would be 1:1 with a 6xx series chip? I'm not clear on any of it.

pc2-3200 = ddr2-400 = 200mhz same as ddr1

the system fsb or whatever is 4xfsb

crimedog said:
pc2-3200 = ddr2-400 = 200mhz same as ddr1

the system fsb or whatever is 4xfsb

then what is the point of pc8000? there's now way you could run an fsb high enough to take advantage of that right?

Sorry, had a brainfart. It is the XMS2-8000UL that I was thinking of.

Intel architecture does not need to maintain a 1:1 ratio to get better performance from memory running faster than FSB.

Back