• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Use DDR2 in DDR slots?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DDR2 & DDR arent compatible technologies. Do not put DDR2 in a DDR1 board. As for higher rated ram, that will work fine, but unless you OC or use dividers, you will not take advantage of faster rated ram.

ddr 1 & 2 use a differant amount of pins, if you try to mix and match you will destroy your mobo and ram trying to install them in the incorrect board.

And as Bchur83 said, unless you overclock your cpu to match your faster ram speeds (like PC4000), you won't get any speed improvment.

Like was said, DDR and DDR2 are not interchangeable. But, let's say you have an Intel 3.0 and want to overclock it to 250 FSB for a clock speed of 3.75 gig. Then PC4000 RAM (DDR-500) could be used at the 1:1 ratio for some good memory bandwidth.

Gigabyte did develop a DDR2 -> DDR converter & showed it off last month. I'm not sure where one would fine them though. The main advantage to that is not having to buy new DDR2 memory when you upgrade to a DDR2 platform.

Moto7451 said:
Gigabyte did develop a DDR2 -> DDR converter & showed it off last month. I'm not sure where one would fine them though. The main advantage to that is not having to buy new DDR2 memory when you upgrade to a DDR2 platform.
Those kinds of things are always around when technology changes. (MSI showed their AGP to PCI-E converter a few months ago) They don't usually work well and money is best spent updating to new technology rather than clinging to the old. (My Father would have bought both of those products because he lived through the Great Depression and he learned to never throw anything away, even 50 cent sandals that were badly worn out.:))

Yeah well this is more like new ram -> old tech as opposed to keeping an "old" graphics card on a new system. In any case, I would go for the DDR2 -> DDR1 converter if I needed memory but I'm quite fine with what I have.

Back