• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5WD2. Pls Help!. Can't get past 265 FSB.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pee4

Registered
Hi,

Can someone please help me?

I can't get past 265 FSB with my P5WD2 Premium / P4 820D.

The problem does not appear to be the cpu. It's only at 1.4V at 265 FSB. Increasing the CPU voltage dramtically at this point has no effect. I just can't get the FSB much above 265.

I have read so many posts of people running over 300 FSB with this motherboard, yet at 265 FSB I have to start dramatically increasing voltages to ICH, MCH, and FSB Termination just to gain an FSB of 270.

I have read of 3 or 4 other people with the same problem, but no solutions. One guy returned his motherboard and got another one, but it made no difference. One guy bought new RAM but that didn't help either.

The problem should not be my RAM, because my ram is Corsair 4200 (533mhz) and I am using the memory divider to ensure it's kept well below 533mhz (currently at about 400mhz). I've tried increasing voltage to the RAM but that didn't help.

My power supply is the Asus recommended AcBel 550W (22amps on 12V_2).

If someone who has their FSB at over 300mhz could send me a full set of pics showing their bios settings, I'd really love to check your settings against my settings.

I am currently using the following bios settings:

PCI-E locked at 100 (tried auto, tried 101)
PCI locked at 33
CPU Internal Thermal Control = Disabled (tried enabled)
Hyperpath 3 = Enabled (have tried disabled)
Slot Power = AUTO
HD Audio Controlled = Enabled

System components:

AcBel 550W Power Supply (recommended by Asus)
Asus P5WD2 Premium
P4 820D 2.8Ghz
1GB Corsair Value Select PC4200 533mhz
Abit RX600XT Video Card
Pioneer 110D on main controller
Pioneer 106S on main controller
IBM 80GB ATA/100 Hard Drive on 8211 controller

Thank you in advance for any suggestions

John

Last edited:
you don't need to change anything in the bios to get high fsb. auto is fine for well over 300mhz. have you tried updating the bios? assuming your psu is good, i blame your cpu/cooling.

Also try leaving your PCI-e on AUTO instead of 100 or 101 (leave the other at 33.3 though).

Hi CrimeDog,

My bios is 0519.

I am also thinking it might be the power supply.

The CPU does 265 FSB on 1.400 volts. I would have thought it would have a bit more to give at 1.500 volts? I can get more, but I have to dramtically raise the voltages on MCH, ICH, FSB Termination - that's the bit I don't understand, because as you said, no-one else needs to.

My cooling is an XP-120 heatsink with 100cfm fan.

John

Hi Ross,

Yes, I have tried PCI-e on AUTO many times. Makes no difference in my case.

The motherboard has an extra power connector that takes an IDE/ATAPI power supply plug. Do you guys plug a lead into this? (I do, but am now wondering if that's causing a problem?)

Thanks

John

are you using 14 or 15 multi?
and from the sounds of it cooling is whats limiting you ~when i had my xp120 my 830 was HOT and i couldnt get it past 3.9ghz on a 15x multi and even then load was WAY too high...what are your temps?

Hi

Multiplier is 14. I think that's locked on the 820D.

Temps:
In bios: cpu 53 motherboard 32
In windows idle: cpu 47 motherboard 35

I can get the cpu temps down by about 10 degrees by removing the side of the case, but it makes no difference.

Thanks

Back