• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4S800 won't post!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
Ah, so I just got my CPU today (a 2GHZ P4 w/400MHz FSB) and I plugged it into my mobo. I boot er' up and the fans spin and the HDD spinds but there is no video and the lights on the keyboard don't light up. I double checked all my cables (including the PSU one and the 4-pin PSU one) and they all appear to be fine. I also cleared the CMOS and still no video. I know my card works fine because I was just running it in my AMD system. Anyone have any idea of what could be wrong?

Wonder if you have the 1002 bios installed?? Thats the one you need for that proc support....

Well, I haven't left it on long enough to see if the CPU gets hot, should I try posting without the heatsink on and see if it gets hot. Right now, I'm about to try another PSU to see if that makes a difference. I don't know what BIOS it has but why would it need that certain one to support the basic Northwood CPU (a 400MHz FSB w/ 512KB L2)?

There should be a sticker on the bios saying which one it has. I'm not famiular with that particular board. But it could be that before 1002 was willy's, and 1002 was support for Northwoods, just a guess there. Providing the bios hasn't been flashed, the bios version on the sticker should be currect

The BIOS sticker says 1005. BTW, it's a 478 board so I don't know how you could get a Williamete to work without the converter.

Well, tried a different PSU, different video card, reseatting the CPU, a different CPU, and it still won't post. I think the board is dead, luckly, it's still under warranty :p Thanks for all your help guys.

Back