• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ/Mushkin 1gig or PQI 2gig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

What is the difference between OCZ 5400 Titanium EB and Platinum EBs? I basicaly have two choices. I can either go 2x512 with some nice mushkin or OCZ, or I can go 2x1024 with the pqi memory? What would you guys suggest?

If you're planning on ocing, don't bother with the PQI. I got 2-1gb dual channel sets that don't oc worth beans :rolleyes: Best I can do is 225 @ 1:1, 2.5-3-3-7 with max vdimm of 2.9. BSOD or fails to boot with tighter/ looser timmings and more/less voltage.

Stay away from PQI, it'll run ok @ stock, but ocing it sux.

Myhre said:
What is the difference between OCZ 5400 Titanium EB and Platinum EBs? I basicaly have two choices. I can either go 2x512 with some nice mushkin or OCZ, or I can go 2x1024 with the pqi memory? What would you guys suggest?

The titanium sticks come with a different warranty and the sticks are tested somewhat differently before being sent out. The pc5400EB or even PC4200EB would be great choices. The pc4200EB will overclock to at least pc2 5400 speeds and with very good timings.

SteveOCZ said:
The titanium sticks come with a different warranty and the sticks are tested somewhat differently before being sent out. The pc5400EB or even PC4200EB would be great choices. The pc4200EB will overclock to at least pc2 5400 speeds and with very good timings.

Different warranty? how so? tested differently how?

first off i don't know how you plan on buying ocz EB ddr2. it's been discontinued for quite a while and you can only find it at two places, 2gb overpriced for around $450. the mushkin pc2-6400 is superior to the ocz and it's $331 at monarch (2gb). the corsair is equal quality ram but it's also hard to find and it's price has been inflated. notice that all these rams aren't in production anymore, micron no longer produces the d9 IC's.

so, 1g mushkin pc2-6400 vs 2gb pqi turbo pc2-5400.
400mhz 5-3-3-8 vs 333mhz 4-4-4-12
$188 vs $183

let's assume you have a p5wd2-p and a 670 with watercooling. you have a nice chip and run 4.7ghz stable. 335x14 with lock-free to maximize bandwith. the pqi will do 335mhz at 4-4-4-8 timings. the mushkin will do it with 3-2-2-4 if you give it a little voltage. so bottom line you're paying more than twice as much for ram to lower timings from 4-4-4 to 3-2-2. that's how i considered it when i bought my pqi. i really enjoy having 2gb, but i really want a set of the mushkin for benching.

note: i haven't taken into account dividers, you might want to. the mushkin will probably run ~350mhz 3-2-2, and ~500mhz 5-3-3. the pqi will do about 350-360mhz 4-4-4, ~260mhz 4-3-3. i am not a fan of dividers, they don't do much for real world performance. i'd much rather pump my fsb, run 1:1, and tighten timings.

that's the good stuff you've found, it's the same stuff but mushkin upgraded their heatspreaders and newegg has the old picture. definitely order from monarch, but be aware they're going to have it sent from mushkin. sneaky just ordered a 1gb set and it's supposed to take 6-8 days to process + shipping.

Back