• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WindowsXP X64 Install Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma422

I decided to give WindowsXP x64 a try today and went to install, but was not able to sucessfully install it. My system specs are in my sig. I can install regular XP at my OCed speed with no problems so I went to do the same thing with X64. My first problem came when Windows started copying files over and looked for my nF4 RAID drivers. I forgot the exact name of the files, but it couldn't find nvraidcat and idecoi or something along those lines. I did several retries and finally just skipped the files. Things seemed to be fine after that, went to the rest of the install, but when it started to load Windows after install I my log on screen is distorted. Kind of looks like a graphics card problem, but regular XP installs fine.

I figure that my OC may have caused this so I set everything to default and get the same thing. Anybody else have a problem like this when installing X64. I'm back on regular XP, but should I feel like trying again I was wondering if there is any fix to this problem. Thanks.

Ni seem to recall having some issues with x64 and sata...With XP I did not need to install SATA drivers... but with x64 I did..

I got the could not find xxxx.xxx also until Ifigured out hte correct file format for the floppy disk

Off hand I do not recall what it was... BUT When you DLed the drivers and unzipped them... I think you need to copy them exactly as they are over to the floppy.

In my case there was a folder called x64.. .in the folder was the .sys and then there was another folder that contained the inf and the cat files IIRC...

Something wierd like that.

Once I figured out the secret they installed fine :)

Neur0mancer said:
Ni seem to recall having some issues with x64 and sata...With XP I did not need to install SATA drivers... but with x64 I did..

I got the could not find xxxx.xxx also until Ifigured out hte correct file format for the floppy disk

Off hand I do not recall what it was... BUT When you DLed the drivers and unzipped them... I think you need to copy them exactly as they are over to the floppy.

In my case there was a folder called x64.. .in the folder was the .sys and then there was another folder that contained the inf and the cat files IIRC...

Something wierd like that.

Once I figured out the secret they installed fine :)

So when you d/led the sata drivers you extracted them to another directory and copied that to a floppy? When I made the driver disk, I just used the extraction tool and had that copy the files directly over to a floppy. Thanks again.

Yah I had to extract them. Running the MSI Neo2 and the driver download was around 6MB. So I had to go through and look for the right drivers. Ifyou have a utility that makes the floppy for you that still could be the problem.

I hate to point out hte obvious but did you make sure you DLed the 64bit drivers???

Yup, they were the X64 drivers, verifed as when I installed the drivers it had the "x64" in the name.

I may try again this winter, I just got regular XP the way I like it and don't really feel like doing it over again, but thanks for the info. BTW how do you like X64 compared to XP?

XP 64 is still EXTREMELY buggy. It's not your fault. The product is M$'s first shot at a 64 bit OS, and it needs a lot of perfecting before it will work reliably.

I'm not sure it's worth it yet.

Back