• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's so good about ballistix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Herr Rogers

Why are people buying the ballistix pc4000 with higher latencies instead of the pc3200 with low latencies? Is there something I'm missing about this ram?

Micron doesnt release chips at a latency for which their RAM can truly handle. I would ignore it and focus on the chips being used. It is without question that Micron's 4Y -5BD chips are the best 1GB sticks money can buy.

290fsb+ at 2.9v with like a tiny 60mm fan over it? Very possible with the Ballistix.

Crucial uses special Micron chips they don't like sharing, that's why the Ballistix is one of the best 2x1GB ram out there.

darksparkz said:
290fsb+ at 2.9v with like a tiny 60mm fan over it? Very possible with the Ballistix.

Crucial uses special Micron chips they don't like sharing, that's why the Ballistix is one of the best 2x1GB ram out there.
I remember Micron counter-sued Rambus for antitrust violation+not sharing technology, but now practicing same. First they steal Rambus’s Intelectual property and claim that they are entitled to use it, and then the anti-trust lawsuit. I wouldn’t doubt that the micron chip is driven from Rambus's design, but not willing to share it.
That's why I wont spend a dime on their “stolen goods” and call the thieves “potato heads”.
I strongly encourage everyone to boycott their products.

If they sell it to the public, at a decent price, with the unmatched quality on OC ability that they've shown so far, I could care less. As long as we as consumers don't pay a huge premium. COnsidering what this ram is capable of in terms of quality, and overclocking, 296.00 is hardly a huge premium paid for what this stuff does.

If your in the market for high end RAM, why deny yourself over somthing that really, well, no one cares about, at least, not me. It's the best, buy it. Period.

From what I have seen the computer industry is a den of thieves. They are always stealing from each other and suing each other. This is the first I heard about the Rambus vs. Micron thing. I do think you have to draw a line somewhere that's why I won't buy something from Intel and buy as little MS as possible. Those kinds of decisions are best left to individual consumers who vote their conscience with their purchases.

wasn't rambus ram insanely priced back in the day, that is until ddr quickly outperformed and outsold it?

rseven said:
From what I have seen the computer industry is a den of thieves. They are always stealing from each other and suing each other. This is the first I heard about the Rambus vs. Micron thing. I do think you have to draw a line somewhere that's why I won't buy something from Intel and buy as little MS as possible. Those kinds of decisions are best left to individual consumers who vote their conscience with their purchases.
Good for you rseven. I do the same. When I see an identical product sold @ Higher price, I know then that I should stay away from that manufac.
Good example is TCCD chips. I don’t care how good Balistix's are, my conscience and my sleep is far more important than just 400 Mb/s bandwidth.
people should also realize that multiplier and tighter timing effect real life performance far more than highest bandwidth and 1:1 ratio. This is the new school and the experts are beginning to find out. My Super Pi and Everest latency improved @ tighter timing 5/6 ratio compared to 1:1 looser timing. I suggest everyone experiment the 2 settings and get off of this “I broke the 1:1, 300 fsb record”. Big deal. How many times a day do you have to reboot?

ochungry said:
Big deal. How many times a day do you have to reboot?
That is the quote of the week.

But I am getting ready to invest in some ballistix myself and have been debating pc 3200 or 4000. I decided to go with the 4000 just to be a little more future proof.

Ya buddy :)

Mine does 295Mhz @ 2.8V

And what do I have to say for this? Well beats my last set of ram/mobo my nearly 2gig of bandwidth some how. That was @ 220Mhz using 2-3-2-6 timings using 4 sticks of ram. I'm

Am I happy about getting this ballistix? Yes, it future proofs me if I do want to OC higher and yet still have high bandwidth, besides the fact that I'm not messing around with ram dividers that sometimes do and sometimes don't work.

This is at 290FBS with default/auto settings http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4066915&postcount=23
This is at 295FBS http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4067332&postcount=24

OK with all of this being said, How do they rank in the 2 x 512mb catagory? just asking because that is what I am about to buy.

hibner said:
OK with all of this being said, How do they rank in the 2 x 512mb catagory? just asking because that is what I am about to buy.
I belive they use a different chip for the 2x512MB version but I could be wrong. If you want to buy something of that sort of density, you are better off with either GEIL One or our PC4400 or OCZ's PC4800. (ie something TCCD/TCC5 based)

RedDragonXXX:

I am building a new system with:
MSI K8n Neo4 Plat/SLI (the reason for going witht hsi board over DFI is that I will be running SLI and need room for PCI sound card and PCI modem. From the pics I've seen...I would only have 1 PCI slot availble for use with SLI. or am I way off there?)

AMD x2 4800+ (or at least I thought until I saw your 4400+ @ 2.8Ghz on air)

here's a 2 part question...

#1 Have you done any reasearch on 4400+ vs. 4800+ on overclocking? would I be pretty much wasting money by getting the 4800+?

#2 I am also looking into RAM....have you found the Ballistix to be the best bet for this setup? I'm going for 2x1Gb I'm not sure if I'll be running it at 300Mhz or not tho...I had only 1st planned on 233Mhz or so...but maybe I still need to read some more?

I'll be cooling with water for the CPU and SLI cards (dual 120mm rad)

I hope this isn't considered a thread Hijack... I AM concerned about the Ballistix RAM :)

the best results for the ballistix usually come from dfi boards due to their extensive bios settings

my asus board doesnt like the ballistix past 270

jivetrky said:
RedDragonXXX:

I am building a new system with:
MSI K8n Neo4 Plat/SLI (the reason for going witht hsi board over DFI is that I will be running SLI and need room for PCI sound card and PCI modem. From the pics I've seen...I would only have 1 PCI slot availble for use with SLI. or am I way off there?)

AMD x2 4800+ (or at least I thought until I saw your 4400+ @ 2.8Ghz on air)

here's a 2 part question...

#1 Have you done any reasearch on 4400+ vs. 4800+ on overclocking? would I be pretty much wasting money by getting the 4800+?

#2 I am also looking into RAM....have you found the Ballistix to be the best bet for this setup? I'm going for 2x1Gb I'm not sure if I'll be running it at 300Mhz or not tho...I had only 1st planned on 233Mhz or so...but maybe I still need to read some more?

I'll be cooling with water for the CPU and SLI cards (dual 120mm rad)

I hope this isn't considered a thread Hijack... I AM concerned about the Ballistix RAM :)

1. You will be better of getting 4400+ cause you will save some serious $$$ and pretty much get the same OC'ing results. Also to mention that these aren't 2.8GHz guaranteed, you may hit lower then this as many people I know have and you might get higher.

2. Yes Balistix would be best if you are planning on doing 2GB cause they will give you high HTT that you can use to do 1:1 since X2's love it.

ochungry said:
Good for you rseven. I do the same. When I see an identical product sold @ Higher price, I know then that I should stay away from that manufac.
Good example is TCCD chips. I don’t care how good Balistix's are, my conscience and my sleep is far more important than just 400 Mb/s bandwidth.
people should also realize that multiplier and tighter timing effect real life performance far more than highest bandwidth and 1:1 ratio. This is the new school and the experts are beginning to find out. My Super Pi and Everest latency improved @ tighter timing 5/6 ratio compared to 1:1 looser timing. I suggest everyone experiment the 2 settings and get off of this “I broke the 1:1, 300 fsb record”. Big deal. How many times a day do you have to reboot?

Umm running stock speeds my 4,4,4,12 corsair DDR2 outdoes my 2,2,2,5 Mushkin BH-5 by about 1 second in superpi which I consider alot. I realize the fastest superpi runs are ussually done with tight timings and they are important but if I have looser timings and 50mhz extra FSB its going to be faster. Look at D]g[ts run to 40k in the link in my sig he couldn't beat out 1:1 TCCD with his UTT running a divider. I used to think it was all about timings but its not its all about high FSB and then tight timings. 250 fsb 5:6 2,2,2,5 isn't going to beat out 300 FSB 2.5,3,3,7 ussually. Although 290fsb 1:1 2,2,2,5 will beat out 315FSB 2.5,3,3,7

speed bump said:
Umm running stock speeds my 4,4,4,12 corsair DDR2 outdoes my 2,2,2,5 Mushkin BH-5 by about 1 second in superpi which I consider alot. I realize the fastest superpi runs are ussually done with tight timings and they are important but if I have looser timings and 50mhz extra FSB its going to be faster. Look at D]g[ts run to 40k in the link in my sig he couldn't beat out 1:1 TCCD with his UTT running a divider. I used to think it was all about timings but its not its all about high FSB and then tight timings. 250 fsb 5:6 2,2,2,5 isn't going to beat out 300 FSB 2.5,3,3,7 ussually. Although 290fsb 1:1 2,2,2,5 will beat out 315FSB 2.5,3,3,7
Mine does. I have Ram @ 1:1 looser timing w/ cpu 300 fsb and ram tighter timing but 5/6,cpu 300 fsb and got about 1s shorter in Everest latency. Also got better SISandra score.
check the links below:
http://img121.imageshack.us/my.php?image=102220051604553gs.jpg
http://img434.imageshack.us/my.php?image=102220051039497ev.jpg

Edit: BTW, Cool sig you got

Last edited:
Back