• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dpgthing

Disabled
How do you guys enjoy the Windows Vista/Longhorn Beta 2? I've managed to obtain a copy, but haven't installed it yet. I was hoping there were some others out there with it.
:argue:

The os is still beta and most of its capabilities won't be seen for some time. There are a lot of cool videos of what it can do at the Channel9 forums.

http://channel9.msdn.com

edited at cw823's request

Last edited:
I would have to completely agree with Captain Newbie.

Ebola, please refrain from accusing those you do not agree with of "ignorance" and "blindly listening to who yells loudest". Personal attacks are not acceptable on these forums. Argue against ideas, not against people.

Vista was alright, mostly eyecandy at this point, but a few tangible improvements.

Sounds like a bunch of linux-o-philes who would poo-poo on anything M$ does. IMO Mandriva 2006 blows cause my wifi nic dont work on it without jumping through 30 hoops to get a M$ driver working. That is a valid beef, but not enough to completely say it blows.

If you are going to critique something as complex as a OS, atleast throw in something decent about it to balance it out. 100% poo-poo is often the sign of a closed and biased mind.

I don't really see this as a thread about linux vs vista. I see it more as a thread on vista vs xp/2k. From what I've seen, I will stick with 2k. The greatly increased digital restrictions management and greater invasion of privacy in vista desroys any desire to use it. Also, the minimum requirements are huge. One guy on this forum posted in the other thread that it crawled like a p2-350 on his athlon 64 w/ 2 gb.

I think M$ is in a unique position to do a lot of good. I wish they had some concern for personal freedom. I expect corporations to try to make a profit, but I think it's highly unethical for them to sell us out to that degree.

Captain Newbie said:
Yes. Although I'll sum it up for you in a sentence.

Abstract: The general perception of Windows Vista is DRM-riddled eye-candied crippleware.

Was using Macs in school today, the have just sweet looking graphical user interface, very easy, simple, stable, and user friendly. Would switch but, lack of software support and Macs are very exspensive.

MRD said:
Also, the minimum requirements are huge. One guy on this forum posted in the other thread that it crawled like a p2-350 on his athlon 64 w/ 2 gb.
You have to remember that this will go on every computer Dell makes as soon as Vista is realeased. So they cant make it that system intensive. And you cant really judge performance from early beta releases.

Anti DRM GO HERE TO JOIN THEADO . Not sure what DRM is or why you should be against it come check out our thread and stay tuned for our upcoming front page article.

If you want to see what Vista has in store for you at the present time, just take a look at my signature.

ADO is gathering the people and the info to do something about it.

Now if you don't value your freedom or privacy then by all means, support it, and US citizens will soon become drones of the Gov't just like they are in communist China. :(

rseven said:
Okay 3DFlyer, I hear you. I just PM'd maddog to join ADO. I'm with you! :thup: :thup:

:D The more the merrier. The more people we have to put our heads together the better we will be.

It's not about company haters or hate mongering against new technology. It is about doing what is legal, and fair.

If we let these companies do this, they will set a precedent, and once that is done, they have th go ahead to further invade our computers until they completely ruin the Internet.

Once we let the corporations steal our freedom, they will take it all, and will have a legal basis for doing so.

why all this whining about drm?

if you don't like it-- don't buy software that has drm

no one is forcing you to buy windows vista

also from past experiences, these encroaches on privacy are much overblown before the release

...if you are not pirating movies, music, software, et al what do you have to worry about? frankly all drm is doing is forcing accountability on people, and making computers more amicable to businesses such as online music downloads, movies, etc

THE LAW WILL FORCE US TO AND WON'T LET US GO AROUND IT. THEY DON'T CARE IF YOU DO THAT STUFF OR NOT THEY WILL WATCH YOU ANYWAYS! THAT'S WHY WE ARE MAKING SUCH A BIG DEAL.

fiji said:
why all this whining about drm?

if you don't like it-- don't buy software that has drm

no one is forcing you to buy windows vista

also from past experiences, these encroaches on privacy are much overblown before the release

...if you are not pirating movies, music, software, et al what do you have to worry about? frankly all drm is doing is forcing accountability on people, and making computers more amicable to businesses such as online music downloads, movies, etc

Last edited:
ahh good thing you wrote extra big, or i would have not been able to read it

"watch us?" drm is not spying on your love letters to suzy, worst case its scanning x y and z files to see if you should legally own them

also what law? (don't say dmca, because that is false)

your points just sound like the inane ramblings of a conspiracy theorist...

Back