• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ddr2 PC6400 800mhz timing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

If you use ddr2 PC6400 800mhz memory in a dual channel board like ASUS p5wd2 the maximum memory speed is 400 mhz at stock (to get 1:1). The timings are listed for the OCZ 800mhz memory as 5-5-5-10. Since that timing is for one memory stick, if they are used as a dual system, can the timings be lowered by half to something like 3-3-3-5? After all, the memory is only going at 1/2 its rated speed? Has anyone tried this?

It depends what chips are in the ram(I will have to check later). If you're running at that speed I think 4-4-4 timings would be no problem and you may be able to get 4-3-3 even.

I want gold OCZ pc6400 memory if that helps.

Also what recovery time should memory like that have? Is that the same as T1 sometimes listed for other memory?

crimedog said:
each stick in dual channel is made to run the same speed and timings

Ok, the question is...what timings? 5-5-5-10-1 or 3-3-3-6-1 for OCZ gold dual channel PC6400.

the P5WD2 has upward dividers, 4:5, 2:3 and so on, so you can run the ram at its rated speed and rated timings

Sneaky said:
the P5WD2 has upward dividers, 4:5, 2:3 and so on, so you can run the ram at its rated speed and rated timings

If the FSB is running at 800mhz but you pump the memory up to 1066 does it really help anything? Presumably the memory running at 1066 has to add wait states because the FSB can't take data any faster than 800.

crimedog said:
from what i've heard the gold will not do lower than it's rated timings

I've heard conflicting info on that.

Right now I am running dual channel gold OCZ pc6400 rated at 5-5-5-10 at 3-3-3-6 quad pumped to 940 mhz 1:1. No problems so far.

So it seems you can run at much lower latency if you are dual channel and have memory that is under clocked.

orion456 said:
If the FSB is running at 800mhz but you pump the memory up to 1066 does it really help anything? Presumably the memory running at 1066 has to add wait states because the FSB can't take data any faster than 800.
remember that the FSB is quad pumped. theoretically, you can run the ram at 2x the speed of the fsb, but since some of that bandwidth goes to the chipset, you'll saturate it with a bit less. a higher divider does help a bit though

orion456 said:
I've heard conflicting info on that.

Right now I am running dual channel gold OCZ pc6400 rated at 5-5-5-10 at 3-3-3-6 quad pumped to 940 mhz 1:1. No problems so far.

So it seems you can run at much lower latency if you are dual channel and have memory that is under clocked.

yeah... but you're running the ram at 235mhz while it's rated at 400mhz...

forget all this quad-pumping marketing stuff. you're running 235mhz fsb and your ram is 1:1 so it's also at 235mhz (ddr2-470). you should be running it much faster. put on the 3:5 ratio to push your ram up to ~392mhz (ddr2-784).

crimedog said:
yeah... but you're running the ram at 235mhz while it's rated at 400mhz...

forget all this quad-pumping marketing stuff. you're running 235mhz fsb and your ram is 1:1 so it's also at 235mhz (ddr2-470). you should be running it much faster. put on the 3:5 ratio to push your ram up to ~392mhz (ddr2-784).

Ok but how does memory going say 2x faster get any more info into a processor that is going 1x speed.

Back