• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video players erroring out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

Hoho, long time, no post in this section :)

I have a problem with my video players.

Whether it's media player, VLC or divx player, all tend to error after a few minutes of video play. Example:

I start an mpeg4 or avi file in divx player, runs fine for a few minutes, then stutters one and gets a 'critical error' (windows message) a few seconds after that. Same happens with media player and VLC with a diversity of file extensions and sizes. I've had this problem before with VLC, that's why i installed divx player as well but now it's all giving me the same error.

System specs:
core: see sig
Soundblaster live! 5.1 with newest drivers
windows XP PRO NL SP1
2x200GB in raid and 2x200 separate. Video files present on both.

Another short question regarding windows. If i set the files ina directory to be listed as a list with details, and i come back the next time they're back at thumbnails. How to lock that?

Hmm that's pretty weird. Are you sure the source of the files is not corrupt? Like a bad disk or something? Have you tried playing from a different source, like a dvd rom or something?

It could be some corrupt dll or something like that. Do you have another OS installed to check if the issue is confined to windows? All the players may be sharing some DLL with code for playing media files, and that might be corrupt. You might want to try a repair install.

Definitely check your disks for errors.

I'm assuming the errors you're getting are confined to media playing only, which makes ram or processor issues unlikely.

It's 100% stabile (24hr prime, hours of gaming and folding) so it must be software related. The video files are on the same drives as my windows install, backup and games and all those work fine. Is there anywhere i can find a list with dll files used?

to lock the view, set it to how you like it, then go to Folder Options, View, and make sure the option to remember each folders view is checked. If you want it details all the time, click the button at the top to Apply To All Folders.

have you tried different codec packs?

The video files are on the same drives as my windows install, backup and games and all those work fine. Is there anywhere i can find a list with dll files used?

I would try to play the video files from a different physical device. Often, just part of a disk becomes corrupt. It could be the part with the video files, but not the part with the OS.

Make sure you have DMA on, although this is more likely to cause choppiness than crashing and errors. Still, it's something to check.

I don't know how to tell exactly which DLL's are used. I'm not that familiar with windoze internals. If you reinstall it and use the repair install, it will just recopy all the dll's from your cd and this should fix it if it's a corrupt dll.

Definitely do a disk scan and also check for viruses/spyware with spybot/adaware/norton. You never know when some stupid evil software is screwing with your system.

As said, i get the problem with different files on different physical and partitional locations, so it must be in the player.

Ran a diskcheck, clean as a whistle. Can i do a repair windows without losing any other data? I usually just reformat (lol), never done a repair.

Yeah you can. At least on 2K you can, I don't know XP. What you do in 2K is choose the initial option to install windows (not fix), then choose the location of your windows install. Then it says that it has detected a windows install, and asks if you want to repair or replace. Choose repair. It will then recopy all the files from the cd.

Disclaimer: YMMV if you are using a different version of windoze.

Sjaak said:
Hoho, long time, no post in this section :)

I have a problem with my video players.

Whether it's media player, VLC or divx player, all tend to error after a few minutes of video play. Example:

I start an mpeg4 or avi file in divx player, runs fine for a few minutes, then stutters one and gets a 'critical error' (windows message) a few seconds after that. Same happens with media player and VLC with a diversity of file extensions and sizes. I've had this problem before with VLC, that's why i installed divx player as well but now it's all giving me the same error.

System specs:
core: see sig
Soundblaster live! 5.1 with newest drivers
windows XP PRO NL SP1
2x200GB in raid and 2x200 separate. Video files present on both.

Another short question regarding windows. If i set the files ina directory to be listed as a list with details, and i come back the next time they're back at thumbnails. How to lock that?

Possible causes: (in my experience, even when I didn't see these symptoms with video files)

1. The video card driver settings are corrupted. (Some video driver tweak utilities are known to cause this)

2. The video card is OC'ed too much. (sounds strange, but my GeForce 4 Ti has been known to give me similar symptoms with 3D Mark 2001 SE if OC'ed too much)

Well, as said, it's fine now but i did indeed install new VGA drivers and clocked it down a bit. Might have gotten solved without knowing there. Will remember it for the future.

Thanks for the advice anyways :)

Back